Overheating problems

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ProcalX, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

having spent the last few days trying to get my pc working i believe i may have found the problem.. if u can help me with some questions.

i tested the RAM and that cleared fine (512mb pc2700)
    i ran a hardware diagnostic test - my graphics card was faulty and explained not being able to view any moving images.

replaced the graphics card with a new 9200SE 128mb no more image problems however..

i downloaded motherboard monitor, the motherboard is fine. however the temperature of the computer reported was extreme:
    CPU:67 C and then reports the case temperature at: 137Celcius ???

all i did was install a new motherboard and ram (which are both fine)

I've been told numerous things to do by numerous people of which include:
    Reinstalling Windows Xp Pro (my os)
    Installing extra or alot better cooling (ie: heatsink/fan + internal fan)
    Installing a more powerful PSU

im pretty sure that reinstalling windows wouldnt do anything, however for the purposes of narrowing down the problem i will do this tonight.

Extra cooling i believe is the sound solution, installing a more powerful psu i believe would not make a difference as a 300psu can pretty much power anything. this is what i run:

250W psu
    M848ALU
    1.3 Duron
    512mb corsair pc2700
    NEC 5800A 16x DVD
    Memorex 12x10x32
    15gb 5200rpm hhd (C:) (NTFS)
    20gb 7200rpm 8mb cache hhd (maxtor D:) (FAT32)
    ATI Radeon 9200SE 128mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
    A 3500rpm heatsink and fan (which ran the 1.3 with the old motherboard fine at about 42C)

(its not a fantastic system but i am getting a new cpu once its working and its a media machine)

really appreciate any help or ideas, as tonight i am most likely going to order some new parts, and i dont want to buy loads of stuff i dont need.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd remove and clean off the heatsink as well as the CPU and then apply a paper thin layer of Arctic silver.

The other thing that could be a possibility is that the motherboard has it's temp sensors miscalibrated. You might see if there's a BIOS update regarding this. Typically, Asus and Gigabyte are companies that have had boards that tend to do this.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

thanks Big B, i've ordered a new cooler master 1900 - 4500 adjustable cooler
    and updated the bios on it. will post results ;)