P4 problems

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by loaded_chambers, Mar 26, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I just put my P4 3.06 in a new motherboard and it seems as if everything is working, but when i get to the WinXP logo during the startup it just goes in slow motion and then flashes a blue screen and restarts itself. The screen is too fast for me to read so i have no idea what it's saying. XP just won't boot. I tried doing a clean install on a different hard drive but my cdrw and dvdrw drives are slower than I've ever seen. It took about 30 minutes to install the initial files and 40 minutes into the install my cdrw drive just stopped and I had to restart. Has anyone had this problem? I've double checked all the cables and I have a 480 watt PSU. I am using pc2100 memory, do you think this could have any effect on anything? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, what motherboard do you have, and how do you have your burners setup?
    Basically, could you give a more complete list of what ya got to help out.
    Also, try a minimal configuration (1 stick of RAM, only the necessary drives, no other cards except video, etc) with the failsafe or optimal BIOS defaults w/o Hypter threading enabled.
    If you do find out what the BSOD is, and also any file it lists (if it does) as the culprit.

3. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

Here is a complete list:
    P4 3.06 cpu
    Soyo P4X400 dragon lite mobo
    768 MB DDR(256 samsung+512 Kingston)
    Geforce FX 5800 Ultra(tried my old Geforce 4 Ti4200 with same result)
    60 gig WD ultra ATA-100 HD+20 gig WD ultra ATA-100 both fat32(NTFS any different?)
    TDK 48X Velocd CDRW+Pioneer A05 DVDRW
    480 PSU(no name on it, came with case)
    Windows XP Pro corp.

I've tried using the minimal config. with no different result.
    I tried using both failsafe and optimal settings in BIOS with no difference and there's no option in my BIOS for enabling/disabling Hyper Threading that I've seen. I hope this helps.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Your PSU is a generic one, and if it's not putting out enough power, that could be the problem...Check to see what it says the total power output is between the 3.3 and 5V rails as what should be listed on the PSU label. Also, see how heavy the PSU feels. If it's fairly light, you might have one that doesn't have enough components to give good clean power, and therefore causing problems. The other problem could be that the motherboard itself is faulty, which in that case, you'll need to try another one.