P4vxasd2 Ecs Mobo Woes

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Lion_Heart, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Lion_Heart

Lion_Heart Geek Trainee

Yup there is no problem with the video card, an inno3d
    Yup there is no problem with the cd rom, a sony 52x
    Yup there is no problem with the hard disk, a maxtor 30 something gigs
    Yup there is no problem with the operating system, WIN XP
    Yup there is no problem with the RAM, a 256 MB pc 133 SDRAM
    Yup there is no problem with the processor, a celeron 1 point somethings

Tested them all...they just work fine on other boards.

The problem then, (or could be) should be in the motherboard a p4vxasd2 from ECS

It gives out 3 long beeps at 12 second intervals
    It does not even turn on the monitor, just a pervasive blank stare (with the beeps)

And what is funny is that it ONCE worked just to suddenly disappear again!

Just like a teaser of sorts--imagine!!! How weird this mobo could act on me!

HALP! Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The problem you have suggests a problem with the video card. I went on www.bioscentral.com and in the AMI Beep codes (your board has an AMI bios) section there's no mention of a "3 long" code.
    There's also no mention whatsoever of beep codes in the board's manual.

I think all you need to do is say goodbye to the board and buy another one.

ECS is not a very good brand and they're known to create problems where there shouldn't be any.

Maybe the board is just too old. Your chipset is the Via KT266A and it's pretty old. Maybe it just wants to die, pure and simple.

One thing you can do is test other components with that board and see how it goes. You may find the right combination that way.

In any case, I suggest going towards one of these companies: abit, asus, msi. gigabyte. Soltek make great AMD boards but I don't know about their pentium boards.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmmm...that's probably a memory error. However, with the memory being good with other motherboards, you have a couple of choices: try some different RAM on the motherboard, or get a different motherboard. As I suggest you go with another brand besides ECS, which likely means going to a DDR motherboard, MSI's 865P Neo I reviewed recently (blatant plug) is a great little board and likely the least expensive you'll pay for any motherboard like that.
    ECS is the lowest bidder, and is just one brand I'd stay the hell away from. Actually, any motherboard company that begins with "E" fits that bill. For Intel CPU's, your best bet is to go with a motherboard using an Intel chipset.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

LOL big B

5. Lion_Heart

Lion_Heart Geek Trainee

TYVM

Thanks Guys!