Partitioning HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by eranga262154, May 28, 2007.

1. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

Guys,

Say I have a HDD with a large space, like 180GB. I want to partition it. What is the suitable size for a partition, with depend on file system or applications are going to use.

Thanks.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that just depends on a lot of things, i personally have around 10 partitions on a 320Gb HDD, partitioning a HDD is a very good idea, to keep valuable data on a separate partition (away from the OS)[ot]so you can format the partition containing your OS[/ot]

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

How many parts do you want ? Depends on the OS you want to use.
    But I would go no more than 4 partitions..

4. motorheadbiker

motorheadbiker Geek Trainee

How many OS u gonna install?? allocating 25GB for each partition wud b a gud idea according to me.. becos If u have planned to install Windows Vista(ultimate), it requires 15gb for its own use..and afte installing some program file u wil b left wit ample amount of free space.(Partitioning ideas may vary from person to person..)

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

For a XP machine, I'd go with around 50 GB for the OS, documents and program files and the rest for data (movies, disk images, programs that take a lot of space for their installation, download folders etc.)

6. AZAZEL

AZAZEL Geek Trainee

as i heared max size of logical disk in xp sp1 id 130 GB, sp2 supports much more bigger disks.
    as a rule i leave for system disk`s about 20 Gb (up to WinXP SP2, 35 for Vista), for data i allocate 100-120 Gb.

partition table only NTFS (for win2000-xp) or fat32 (98-ME)

7. edijs

edijs Programmer

yes, since 20gb is required for optimal XP working, so basically use 1 system partition (20gb - 50gb) and 1 data partition. :cool:

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[ot]not quite right[/ot]XP SP1 supports 137Gb, the same as the HDD controller[ot]not sure but i think it maybe a 36bit HDD controller[/ot]but i know a 48bit HDD controller supports over 137Gb[ot]48bit controllers support up to 2Tb (Terabytes)[/ot]BTW: both hardware & software need to be compatible to recognize large HDDs

9. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Partition of HDD....You got 180GB!

Partition it into four HDD's

1.) 2x20GB = 40GB (These are for your windows installation, you use one drive normally but second one is for future incase u want to install a second OS and meanwhile u can use that storage area the way u want)
    2.) 30-40GB (To store all your important doccuments and if you have softwares packages then put it on this drive, also u can use this drive to install Games)
    3.) Leave the rest for your Videos and Music files.....

10. tulasi

tulasi Geek Trainee

Hi Friend, As per the partition of Harddisk.. I would like to give a generalised idea.An hardisk can not partition more than 24 parts , And as per the latency and for better performance one has to partion the HDD into equal parts. If u want to partion 'xGB' into 'n' partitions then every partition must be 'X/n' size. And it is clear,At any point you can re- partition the larger free Disk by Disk Management in the Computer Management.So basing on the requirement we partion the hard disk .....

Regards
    Tualsi

11. eranga262154

Exactly that what I do at the present time.

12. eranga262154

Normally I setup around 30 GB partitions. So I have six partitions on 180 GB HDD.

13. eranga262154

How about this way,

1.) One partion of 60 GB in size and four partions of 30 GB in size.
    2.) One 30 GB for WinXP (System Partion).
    3.) 60 GB for the software.
    4.) Two 30 GB partions for important data.
    5.) Last 30 GB space for songs, films, games.

14. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

hmm...lets see how it works..
    2.) One 30 GB for WinXP (System Partion). (Its still litle extra but no problem because u gt lots of room to install other software applications as well..)
    3.) 60 GB for the software.(completely disagree; tell me which software will gonna take that much space on ur computer?? It will be the waste of space)
    4.) Two 30 GB partions for important data.(I cant comment much on this one because i dont know what type of data you are talking about.)
    5.) Last 30 GB space for songs, films, games. (You need more space for these things because these are the only things which sucks out the maximum space out of HDD..)