PC Freezes AGAIN

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JAY, Mar 20, 2007.

1. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i posted a few weeks ago "PC Freezes"... my pc is freezing again..i cant control my mouse or keyboard..recently i bought a LG DVD writer,then at bios i got a warning secondary ide channel no 80 conductor cable installed. well, i've got a 40 pin cable installed but rite now. i took out the IDE cable completely so there was no warning. but it still froze. i even bot a new 512mb ram. about 3 weeks ago i had this problem n i re-installed windows from scratch. once it froze while installing. i checkd my ram with memtest but there were no errors...actually it did freeze while cheking for errors..then suddenly for about 3 -4 wks it ddnt freeze...i was using both my 512mb rams..n also using my dvd writer with the warning, but it ddnt freeze then...now it is freezing again...wat do i do????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. DarkStranger

DarkStranger Geek Trainee

Have you now connected an 80 pin cable to the DVD writer?
    Hard drive problem perhaps? System overheating?

3. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i wasnt able to find a 80 pin cable...they only sell the 40 conductor cable..n the techs in that shop are idiots..but i completely took out the cable. my cpu's temp doesnt exceed 50 C..so i dnt thk its an overheating problem..ill now try to install my OS in a different hdd...any other help will be appreciated...

p.s im using my pc rite now, it hasnt frozen yet....but it will in awhile...lol

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Have you tried running a scan disk on the hard drive to check for physical errors?

5. DarkStranger

DarkStranger Geek Trainee

Strange that the problem started when you installed the DVD drive. I would have thought it's something to do with that.

Definitely worth doing a hard drive check using scan disk or another program.

6. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

my pc doesnt freeze anymore,but this is really sTrAnGe...it actually happened last time 2..i took out the IDE secondary cable but it did freeze a couple of times b4 it was normal again n worked fine witout freezing for about a month...

well i did take out the cable this time too,n it again freezed a couple of times. but rite now its working fine witout freezing. im running my pc for about 13 hours now. i did replace the IDE cable with a 80 conductor cable..n it doesnt show the message 'secondary ide channel no 80 conductor cable installed'..

dont u think its strange??? my pc is fine for now....but im confused. oh n i already did scan my disk for errors using the command prompt chkdsk /f....it only gave some minor errors like missing files n renaming ..... nothg serious i guess....

any other suggestions for my mysterious pc is welcomed!!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What kind of temperatures are you getting for the CPU? A program like [google]Speedfan[/google] can monitor that for you.

8. SMB

SMB Geek Trainee

if you wanna half a$$ you could do a system restore a few days before it went stupid. if your lucky it just mite work. if it doesnt, do what everyone else says.

9. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i used speedfan...(ddnt actually understand it much) but managed to find some stuff out.

Temp 1:44C
    Temp 2:41C
    HD0 :49C

Fan 1: 2722RPM
    Fan 2: 0 (i dont have a second fan,only the cpu fan & ofcoz the psu fan)

I also did an online indepth report on my 2 hdds. My WD said it was working fine. It didnt detect the temp. on my Quantum Fireball hdd n said it was normal but it had a warning on the spin-up time.

NOTE : your hard disk Spin Up Time attribute current value (78) is below the normal range (79 - 83) reported for your specific hard disk model.

i boot up with my Western Digital hdd..

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, that's fine.

I'm re-reading the thread here, so time for some more questions.

Is the LG drive the only drive on the cable?
    Is DMA set to 'Auto' on the IDE channels in BIOS?
    Is the drive running off the motherboard IDE channels (as opposed to an add-in card)
    What position is the drive set as? Master, slave, or cable select?

11. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

1) Yes
    2) Cudnt find any DMA option.What do i look for?
    3) I guess so coz im not using any add in card.Its cable is directly connected to the IDE Secondary Port
    4) Master. Atfirst i set it to slave coz i had another cd writer which i was also using. but i rarely use it nowadays n when i was testing i took out the cdwriter and forgot to set the position to Master on the LG drive. But rite now its set to Master.

plz help me on no.2. m not sure what u mean?i cudnt find any DMA stuff in my bios..except for ECP mode(not sure what this is).

oh n my IDE 1 n 2 Conductor Cable is set to [Auto]

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You'll want to look at the IDE channels and see what transfer mode they're set at. You can also go into Device Manager, and open the IDE controllers properties (Primary IDE and Secondary IDE) to see what mode they're set at. You'll obviously be looking at the Secondary master here.

13. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

the secondary ide channel's properties:

Master
    Transfer Mode: "DMA if available"
    Current Transfer Mode: " Ultra DMA Mode 4"

my primary ide channel has both master n slave current transfer mode set to Ultra DMA Mode 5....wats the difference bet this mode 4 n 5?

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Mode 4 is ATA100
    Mode 5 is ATA133

Given that optical drives haven't been getting hung up with ATA33 standards (Mode 2), I'd imagine you'd be fine with Mode 4. Mode 5 probably won't do anything, but feel free to try it.

Have you checked your Event Log?

How long does the system freeze? Do you have to reboot the system?
    What power supply (brand and wattage) are you using?

15. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i opened my event viewer n it had some warnings n errors..heres a brief list

APPLICATION
    warning - userenv (occured 7times)
    properties - Windows saved user SALVIN\Jay registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

SECURITY
    no items at all :)

SYSTEM
    warning - Dhcp, W32Time }
    error - W32Time, DCOM, Dhcp, cdrom } Plenty times
    error - server (only once)

Dhcp properties - Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000D61BF776A. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

W32Time - The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

DCOM - The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

cdrom - The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

server - The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{76CF3CEA-BD3C-47A5-AE9A-19E2416995D7} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

Im not so familiar with whats happening here. When my pc freezes,only way to get it bak is to restart the pc. sometimes when i take out the ide cable(for the dvd drive) it doesnt freeze for awhile or even when i switch the rams from their slots. n i also plug in the ide cables back in after a day.i try to confuse the 'brain' bt it works for sometime...

PSU - Aopen 250 watts (came with the case about 2yrs ago)

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try unplugging the LG drive altogether (both IDE and power) and using the system. While you don't have a powerhouse, I wonder if the PSU is being pushed, especially given that it's 250W and came with a case.

17. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

tried that already a 'million' times.....still freezes

18. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Try Memtest again....use the advanced version 86+ from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Also check HDD by using chkdsk /r command...your computer will ask u to initiate this command during the next start. Select Y and restart your computer...

19. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i did download the latest memtest 1.70.....
    i chekd my hdd with the command chkdsk /r...it did a scan at bootup but there werent any errors...it then restarted back into windows...

i got one of my frends hdd tried to bootup wit it...well actually it said 'error loading operating system' ... bt then i went into bios .... it freezed again in bios...so now im sure its not my hdd...does anybody thk its my motherboard??

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Get a new CMOS battery.