PC needing new life!!

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Chris_, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hello ppl. This pc needs some new life, It's custom built by my uncle and some parts are from an old old computer.

With some left-over money I get for Christmas (After I have built my new pc), Im going to upgrade some of these components so it's not really really old (it needs some new life). Hopefully, I will have around 100-130 pounds sterling for me to spend.

Some things that it really really needs is a new graphics card. The one I have now in it is a 3Dfx voodoo banshee 16mb *:eek: dies*. Im sick of it, and have been since I new some stuff about hardware. It isn't compatible with ANY games apart from theme park world but thats too old now. One that would be ideal for me is something that can handle new games, but not extremely high in performance and must be AGP.

Also, It will be needing a new CPU cooler. I currently have a stock one for my AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1.81 Ghz and that is floating around 60°C :O .

The other 'let down' is the mobo. It's a Gigabyte GA-7DXE. But I don't wanna change this as it will take up most of my budget and I won't get enough use out of it because Im building my 1st rig soon. So new parts will have to be compatible with that.

I'll Post my specs here, so you can see what else could do with a change.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7DXE Sckt 761
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Sckt A :confused:
    RAM: Generic PC2100 768MB (1x256mb, 1x512mb [1 slot left])
    Video Card: 3Dfx voodoo banshee 16mb
    HDD: Maxtor 40GB
    Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Atapi or summit not sure
    FDD: Generic
    Case: UNKNOWN :) (It's got the IE logo on the side.. .like...wtf?!)
    Monitor: 18" Digimate TFT (I love it :cool: )

Overall, my computer runs suprisingly very smooth and sort of quick!
    I just hate typing some of the names of the components each time i show my specs :smash: :rolleyes: and It really does need some new life.

Any question's, I'll do my best to answer!

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

stick a nice X800GT in there, or X700 or 6600GT :)

3. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

4. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I've found a CPU cooler here (Second down). If anyone knows anything about it or could show me something else, please do :). Right, now i have £10. What could I spend this on?

5. Willz

if your wanting to play games, dont get a 128mb version, as i think the best game out now run better if you ahve 256mb graphics card.

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Get some Arctic Silver 5 :cool:
    P.S - If you hate typing your specs all the time, put them in your profile, so people can see them in the mini profiles to the left of all posts!

7. pelvis_3

Willhub's right, if your going to get a X700 card, get a 256MB version to help make up for the lower clockspeeds and reduced memory bandwidth it has!

8. Willz

chris, i think you would be better getting an X700PRO

looks at bottom of this page...
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-104-SP)

its ins tock, and only £117, but if it comes with that cooler that it shows you, then i wouldent get it, but i dont know if thats the actual picture of the card, as it has DDR memory on and not GDDR3, i would wait untill the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X700 Pro ICEQII TURBO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (RX700P-AGP256ICEQT) (GX-039-HT) is in stock and get that if your prepaird to pay £130 for it, its got an excellent cooler on, it looks like an arctic cooling solution thats it's got on, so its more equipped for overclocking, looks kool, and i bet you would have to pay about £20 for that cooler sepretly, so its cheaper buying that x700pro from HIS.

oh, and pelvis, you can call me Will :D

9. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Yeh, I'll do that.
    Only a total of £35 over budget. If I can't afford it all at once, I'll get the video card first with the AS5. And then wait a few weeks and get the CPU Cooler.

Thanks guys!

10. pelvis_3

Not a problem :good:

11. Willz

i think the HIS x700pro 256mb was what MATT555 was thinking about getting but then decided to go with the 6600gt, if i had the money, i proberbly would get that HIS X700PRO 256MB for my old computer, too bad it dont have an agp slot, i paid £5 for a 3dfx banshee 8 months ago then foud it wudent fit :p

anyway chris, if you get that X700PRO 256MB from HIS, for your other computer, you wont be dissapointed, seems like a good card, better than a 6600gt in some benchmarks i belive, if i wasent so botherd about fps and playing every game on max, i proberbly would get it :p

12. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I'll see how much i get for a 3dfx banshee :beer::x:

13. Willz

lol, see if you can sell it for £10 :dsmile2: