Pc Reboots When Video Card Is Under Stress

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Amadeo, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Amadeo

Amadeo Geek Trainee

Hello, I have the following problem: a while ago I was doing some work that's GPU intensive, and at the exact second I started it and the video card went 100%, the PC reboots itself. To check that it wasn't a problem specific to the task I was doing, I tried some games like Fallout 4 and GTA V (which a couple of months back I had played with no problems) and I got the same results, while other less consuming games like League of Legends run with no problems (most of the time. Sometimes it reboots too). This happens in both Linux and Windows, so I kind of discarded that it's software related.
    I also run 3DMark's benchmarks, with mixed results. The first and most basic benchmark, Ice Storm, runs fine, but the second one, Cloud Gate, makes the PC reboot instantly.
    The Furmark GPU stress test reboots instantly.
    Because I lack hardware knowledge, I find it difficult to diagnose if the problem is in the video card, or if it's some problem with the power supply.

Relevant hardware:

Video card: Gigabyte GTX 980 ti.
    PS: Thermaltake Smart 750w 80plus Bronze

Both have 6 months of use.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Check that power connectors for video card are OK. There are no dual rails on PSU so no problem about that. Based on what you wrote, problem is very probably PSU or video card, but quite impossible to tell which without changing parts.