PC Shutdown / Restart

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by mut, Nov 23, 2006.

1. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I've been overclocking my system ever since I got it.
    At first I had a Chieftec 450W PSU (bad quality) - this deteriorated over time, and my PC started crashing.
    I bought a second hand Hiper 480W - it's been brilliant, but today my PC has started crashing again.
    I immediately reset the BIOS - no overclock - no edited voltages
    When it crashed i was running firefox, spybot and photoshop.
    I decided to use the same programs again without the overclock. This did the same thing, but it took a lot longer before it crashed.

Another thing I should mention. Recently I had iTunes running (it was a 7.x.x.x version, this was about a month ago) and the songs would just freeze and the PC would shut down. Removing iTunes didnt fix this, so I reinstalled windows and the newest release of iTunes and then all was fine.

I'm wondering if this is a hard drive issue. It seems that when spybot reaches a certain point the system crashes. Should i format the drive and scan for bad sectors?

*System temp never reaches 40*C
    CPU temp gets up to about 52*C with no OC

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

look in the event viewer...(RightClick MyComputer > Manage > Event > ) check under application and system events both...then copy paste the errors here or go through the link inside my signature to check the Evend ID's!

3. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.5730.11, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0003215b.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events And Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

--------------------------------

Hanging application BF2142.exe, version 0.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events And Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Faulting application razercfg.exe, version 3.0.3.1, faulting module user32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00016d48.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

*COMES UP SIX TIMES IN A ROW

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001150A95292. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 f7ac7d70, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

The TuneUp Design Expansion service failed to start due to the following error:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

I also have loads of warnings.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Alot of faulty/hanging apps there, oh btw, do youself a favour and use opera or firefox :)

Whats with the DHCP thing? i get that too i think as i look and i dont get assigned anything, so i dont think thats causing shutdowns.

Does your computer just restart?, i am thinking it could be a motherboard problem, maybe faulty motherboard? i had hell with my last pc, shut downs all the time, lots in games and sometimes when just browsing the internet, and sometimes it was fine. Could also be the ram, run Memtest86 - Memory Diagnostic Page

5. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I ran PCMark05 last night, it completed everything successfully.
    That really gives the PC a tough time doesnt it? 100% usage on both cores at one point.

Ill try memtest tonight.

And I do use firefox, have done for years, I wanted to have a look at IE7.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually running either [google]Prime 95[/google] or [google]Stress Prime[/google] for 24 hours without error is a good way to find out if the CPU is truly stable.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

first of I see way too many windows open here. Plus stay away from IE 7, It made my system crash as well. Does it crash with normal use. Like having two windows open or so.

8. mut

mut Geek Trainee

My PC can handle lots of open windows.
    Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox (with many tabs open), MSN messenger and often some other things at once.
    The PC is fine now, I've lowered the overclock to 3.60GHz (from 2.66GHz it was at 3.70GHz) and it appears more stable - with my new PSU the temperature of the CPU has increased greatly, to my annoyance.

9. Willz

Seems your cpu has degraded, its the same with my 3700+, at first, it ran fine at 2.8ghz, 1.45v, not much increase in temperature from stock, now its at 2.8ghz, 1.47v, and the temperature now is at around 40 degrees max, but i monitored that via temperature sensor i put on the heatsink that came with the case, so i dunno, but i guess the voltages will have to keep on going up, and then i will need to start lowerging clocked speeds untill, it dies.

10. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I don't think the CPU has degraded, I have only had it since July and had a generic power supply, which has degraded (tested it on my brother's computer (identical to mine) and found that it can't overclock to 4.00GHz).

The random power-offs have stopped, but it seems to be an issue with iTunes and my rig - my brother had the same thing a couple of days ago, where iTunes being launched would crash the PC. Very strange.

11. Willz

Could be a bug in the latest version of iTunes, maybe revert to older version to solve it crashing the pc?

12. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Yea, he has an older one, I have the newest and it's fine. The early 7.x.x.x releases really didn't like my system.

13. Willz

Ah, why do you use iTunes anyway, to buy music??, coz if you use it just to play music, get winamp, or Windows Media Player 11, i ahve to say it, apart from the amount of Memory Windows Media Player 11 uses, its a dmand nice player :p.

14. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I have windows media player 11 too. But I have an iPod and when I tried putting songs on it from WMP it didn't work. So my Itunes library is all organised and I don't want to be messing around switching between the two.
    And I will never buy music on iTunes again, it's damn outrageous that they give you a protected AAC file. I can buy a CD and put the music on more than 5 PCs. What a scam...

15. Willz

Ah, you could always convert WMA audio or MP3 to another format, depends what the Ipod cant read, all your music in WMP in WMA format? if so download the free trial of Blaze Media Pro and convert them into MP3.