PC will not start with p4 connector

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by hibiitt, Dec 15, 2009.

1. hibiitt

hibiitt Geek Trainee

Hello Everyone,

I have a really nice issue. My PC has been working perfectly for about 9 months now. Two days ago, I left home for 2 hours came back and my PC was turned off. I went to turn it on and no power at all. I checked everything. The power to the PC is fine. I had not hardware issues recently and I have not changed anything new. I have a Intel quad core processor, with a compatible gigabyte MSI motherboard. The motherboard has an p1 24 pin connector and P4 connector for the extra processor power.

I found out when I have the p1 connector in, the PC will power on, all drives, cd roms and fans are one. If I plug in the p4 connector, you have hear the PC try to turn on and the fans try to turn but then no power. This does not even happen in one second it is really quick.

Does anyone have an ideas what is this cause. To me it seems like the power supply is fine because it can supply power to the PC with the p1 connector. It is 450 watts and it has been working for nine months fine.

Do you think the motherboard or processor is OK. Could the processor notice a heating issue that quick and shut off? Also while I was out there was no power surge at home. So nothing happened to the PC.

Please help?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

This is very likely to be an issue with your power supply, as motherboards don't just break down without any apparent reason. Your best bet is to try a different power supply, or try your power supply on a different computer.

3. hibiitt

hibiitt Geek Trainee

I have tried another Power supply and I have the exact same issue. ANY ideas anyone??

4. hibiitt

hibiitt Geek Trainee

Sorry about the reporting! My bad.

5. hibiitt

hibiitt Geek Trainee

Specs: MSI Motherboard model MS-7388 K9A2-CF Series
    AMD Quad core CPU 2.2 ghz AM2+ socket
    4 GB RAM
    Nvidea geforce 9400 GT
    2 sata harddrives
    2 dvd burners
    Power supply = TRUST PW-5210 420 watts

I hope this helps

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

So the problem occurred by itself. You tried a different Power Supply, but didn't solve the problem. It only happens when you're using the P4 connector. So it's definitely a problem with your motherboard (as it can only be caused by the Power Supply or the board).

Does your computer have less performance when you don't use the P4 connector?
    Are there any burning spots (black areas) around the P4 connector?
    Have you ever flashed your BIOS?