PC wont boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Scellica, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Scellica

Scellica Geek Trainee

I've got a big problem, I meshed my psu power cables and after reinstalling the psu the pc wont boot.

I am sure that I have properly installed the ATX en P4 connector + all the molex connectors. When I press the power button all I get is a short blink of the power led and the fans start turning for about 1/2 sec. The pc used to work fine before I meshed the cables.

Is it possible that I have damaged something (I've used quite some force to get the P4connector off the cables)

I know I have touched to mobo and the VGA card with my hands, for a short period but I have heard that this could give some kind of problem with static electricity...

Plz help, my dad 'll kill me :(

system
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    Antec TruePower 430W
    P4 2.8Ghz

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Can you test the psu in another working pc, or test this pc with another psu ?

3. Scellica

Scellica Geek Trainee

I've test everything I could possibly think about so I guess testing it with another psu is my only solution left... I'll try that.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know if this will fix it, but some motherboards will turn on for a split second the first time power is applied. Hitting the power button again turns it on, but this is only the first time powering up, after it's sat awhile w/o power, or you've cleared CMOS.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Static = BAD

ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) is the bane of all PC components, but it *usually* takes quite a shock to damage a component.
    Here's a few questions that might help figure out your problem:
    Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the MB? (Don't forget to set the jumper back afterwards). Also, you mentioned having to put a lot of pressure to get the molex connector in its socket... nothing made any "crunch" noises when you did, right? :swt: Those tiny transistors/resistors on the MB are very fragile, and breaking one solder joint can '86 a MB. Finally, are you sure the video card or RAM was not damaged? Try the old part-swap trial & error method to be sure. If you need a replacement PSU for a good price, pick up a high voltage, UL approved one here: http://www.mrtechus.com

Best of luck! ;)