People's impressions on the PS3

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Exfoliate, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'll assume none of this forum decided to wait in line a week in advance or splurge on Ebay to nab a unit so I'll just ask this: has anyone actually seen a PS3 in action somewhere? Even if not what are peoples thoughts on the console as a whole and perhaps it's future.
    I'm personally somewhat impressed. Sony has come up with a technological wonder and didn't make any comprimises getting it to us. Granted the most launch titles don't wow but Resistence fall of man is scoring some great reviews and there are a lot of killer games in the pipeline for this year and early 2007. I'm a little peeved there's no rumble but the tilt feature seems like a natural progression.
    It's currently not about to dethrone the 360 in the graphics front like most fans might have hoped but I think it's possible that it's better launch games or games comming out right by launch are probably a bit more advanced than those of the 360 launch. Not to mention developers will take a while to get a handle on the cell and RSX combo.
    I really commend Sony for making online gaming completely free and throwing a HDD, HDMI port, and BlueRay drive in every unit, none of this core system business. BlueRay should really help out developers with bit ambitions get the most out of their game as 25/50+ gigs looks a whole lot better than 8.5. So overall it's looking pretty solid, not ground breaking but a stong contender in time for the 360 no doubt.
    What do the rest of you think?

2. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Good topic Exfoliate , and in my personal views , yes the features as you've mentioned - blue ray , HDD , Hdmi and the free online are bonuses with the ps3 , unlike what ive heard on other forums (no names mentioned) there doesnt seem to be that big an improvement graphicly from the 360 , and that IS what counts when buying a console its the games and playing them that in my opinion is the is only thing that matters !! SOME people take great pleasure in slagging off the 360 and yes it does have its issues but if theres anything BETTER or even equal to Oblivion or Gears of War out in the US or Japan on ps3 im yet to see them !! Granted us in the UK have time to watch and see if the ps3 does turn into the MONSTER CONSOLE people keep talking about before the release over here , but for me personally , the juries still out ! ! ! !

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah currently the 360 can't be touched as far as killer games in the near future. Lost Planet, Mass effect, Halo 3, these are some big time exclusives that all push the graphical threshhold.
    But we all have to keep in mind that the PS3 is in it's infancy here, devs obviously realize it's potential and Oblvion for instance was going to be a launch title but they're taking time to beef up the game a bit, they're adding new shader and improving the draw distance for example. And the power is obviously pretty well similar if big name games like Call of Duty 3, Assasins Creed, or Army of Two are appearing on both consoles. However it's really the exclusives that make the console and looking down the road Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavinly Sword, MotorStorm, BlackSite etc. are all looking to impress.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

I got a unit on the 17th and so far it hasn't been the major revolution we were supposed to be seeing, the only launch title really worth owning is Resistance and Gears of War I'd have to say is a better game. The sports games look the same or even worse than their 360 counterparts. Also the online aspect of the service is way behind Live!, downloads you have to wait on the screen while it finishes unlike the 360 where it will download in the background or if you shut off the console will resume when it's powered back on, and the interface is slow and clunky.

The biggest problem is getting set up for online play and Sony support, pretty much anyone with a Linksys router was haing problems trying to connect to the router & Sony's response was to basically buy a new router, even though the 360, Wii and all my PC's around the house connect fine to it.

Considering all the hype of how powerful it is supposed to be it's been a major letdown, what really bugs me though is they include a Blu-Ray movie but no component or HDMI cable in the box which is completely retarded. After all if your going to promote the system as an HD device include a damn HD cable in the box. Wasn't a major issue for me as I have quite a few HDMI cables lying around but still it really stupid to launch a $600 console and not include a $3.00 cable with it.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah it's a little weird there's not HDMI cables in the box but in my experience they do cost a bit, at least $15 for the cheapest no frills cable and likely more for any other. That's not a lot of money but concidering how much sony is looking already, about $230+ per unit and how, as of now, a very small percentage of all customers actually have a TV that allows for HDMI input it would be a bit wasteful. However a component cable should really be standard these days.
    But as far as the line up of games, I too am not blown out of the water at all. Resistance really seems like a great game and is sure nice to have at launch but otherwise pretty much all launch titles can either be gotten on the 360 or aren't anything special. There is no real PS3 difference as of yet with the possible, if weak exception that Resistance uses over 16 gigs, something you wouldn't get on a dual layer dvd, and some games like RidgeRacer 7 run at 60fps and at 1080p which is impressive. But there are no glaring differences otherwise that immediately make the PS3 stand out as being superior judging from the games. Frankly the launch line up is very poor, one of the worst in a long time as so many have been delayed and couldn't make launch. If a lot of bit name exclusives had make it there would probably be a much bigger stir.
    But people seem to be going for the console either way, it's not like they're just sitting around in the shops collecting dust, people, whether uninformed or not, are swaring to get those things. Some guy even got shot over one. While it may not be pushing out anything really ground breaking now, I trust that in time of course, developers will be able to make pretty major advances in what the system can do and we'll be seeing games that, like Gears of War, push the thresholds of what we can expect from a game and all.

6. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

I would like to point out that there has been some violence concerning the release of the unit. There have been fights, jackings, and even a drive by (with BB guns). This has not happened over the release of the 360 or the Wii. Do these actions reflect the overall attitude of the target consumer...?

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I'd have to agree with you there. People seem way too desperate. C'mon people, its just a game console. Sure, it's the most powerful console ever but shooting people is just insane!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What's even sillier is that they're shooting/beating/etc people for a console with virtually no games...or at least any killer titles. I do have to admit that the Revolution: Fall of Man looks pretty cool. TBH, Sony seems to be marketing a Blu-Ray player that doubles as a console.

9. Addis

Addis The King

Who is responsible for the games not being up to scratch? Is it the game developers or is it Sony? I don't know what programming the PS3 was like, but surely it has enough processing power. Or is it Sony for not providing an SDK good enough to create great looking games?

I love how people slag off the PS3, and sometimes even the Wii after about a month after launch. I remember the days when the 360 was launched, oh wait, I don't. It was such an anti-climax that I forgot when it was.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Currently Resistence: Fall of Man is the only real killer title for me. There are maybe 3 or 4 others that look fun but not revolutionary or must have but then again most launches turn out like this. The 360 didn't have a whole lot up its sleeves when it began and the Wii is argueablely even worse off with mostly just ports of not so steller games made worse by shoehorning in the motion sensing control scheme where it doesn't really belong. (the arcade games are nice though).
    I don't like to just dish out the blame here on the devs but it would seem to point that way. They work very hard I'm sure and I can't blame them for delaying the games until they're good and done but it's because of all these delays that they're aren't more launch games, let a long good ones. A lot of the big titles are 2007 releases by now.
    Sony seems to be handling it alright so far. There's naturally a huge shortage but at least the ones there are a being bought right up. The PS3 sold more units in Japan in 2 weeks than the 360 has since it's launch which is probably more a testiment to how little interest there is over there for the 360 but still seems to lend itself to positive conitations. All it'll take is a real big deal exclusive title like Metal Gear solid 4 and the masses will really come running though.

11. Addis

Addis The King

Personally, even though the 360 has great games like Halo the killer title for me will always be Gran Turismo. If I had the money, I would buy a PS3 because of Gran Turismo 5, yes I'm a big GT fan.

A friend of mine (and also Matt555 from here) really seem to like the Wii. Matt said that after playing with one it was great fun.

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

Unfortunatley having quality games doen't amount to selling systems, if it did the Dreamcast would have been a massive success and SEGA would still be in the hardware business.

It pretty much comes down to who has more marketing dollars and with Sony bleeding money and hedging all their bets on Blu-ray, and in this case MS could easily crush Sony.

Chances are whoever throws the most amount of money around on exclusive titles is going to win.

13. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I think the PS3 is going to be great, i cant see MS crushing sony if they get some games out that are designed for the PS3, because at the moment, the Xbox 360 is beating the PS3 in terms of graphics, but its to be expected as the PS3 has just come out, when the PS3 comes out in the UK, i can see it been a big hit, some people are really annoyed that the PS3 hasent come out in the UK yet, but at least we dont have to deal with all the problems, lack of games that people do in the US, as when it comes out in the UK, hopefully improvements will of been made, and more games will be out for the PS3.

Thats only reason XBOX 360 is still the most popular, due to low amounts of PS3 and the fact that the PS3 is hardly been released in most countries.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can see the late launch as almost a benifit in the UK. In the US we've got very limeted quantities and only a few decent titles. Once it launches in the UK and elsewhere Sony should be better off as far as stock goes and a lot of big deal exclusives will be released making the console feel that much more worth it.

While games like Gears of War put current ps3 titles to shame we have to keep in mind that we're comparing launch ps3 titles to titles that came out in the second year of the 360. If you compare Resistence fall of man to say, the 360's biggest launch title, Perfect Dark Zero, you'll find that things look a good notch better for sure. It just takes the devs some time.

15. Tazz

Tazz Geek Trainee

lmao!!! exactly!