Permalink not working for extra pages...

Discussion in 'HWF Info & Issues' started by Matt555, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but the permalink err link on extra pages (like page 2 onwards) in threads doesn't work, it wants to take you to the first page of the thread (like [noparse]http://www.hardwareforums.com/random-thread-342425/[/noparse] and then the post number: #post34567 or whatever - it doesn't add in the page number like /2/ to make the permalink work properly...)

I hope that made sense... :confused:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

well spotted Matt! will fix it soon :)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what does the Permalink do ?[ot]yes, i can sometimes be thick BTW: like you haven't noticed[/ot]

Edit: it only brings a post to the top of the browser window, surely it does more than that

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

the #post bit after the url refers to an anchor tag in the source code.

So for instance:

#post12345 after the URL would link you to the area of the page with:

Code:
    <a name="post12345"></a>
    Which is useful if you want to show someone a post in a thread (without just showing that one post only).

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

oh right, thankies[ot]in the past i've just used the BBCode[/ot]

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

when u use that quote button....Notice that permalink automatically comes with it in the Reply.... But it is useful when u want someone to specifically look at particular post.....! Like I want u to look at [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/permalink-not-working-extra-pages-16432/#post107130]this[/link] post of urs... :D

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, it's just easier to use the bbcode, because you can choose to only link to 1 post rather than an entire thread
    Code:
    [thread]<thread number>[/thread] or [thread=<thread num>]<text>[/thread] and [post]<post num>[/post] or [post=<post num>]<text>[/post]
    [ot]BTW: approve the new sig[/ot]BTW: check bbcode

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

For linking to just one post you can click the number of the post next to permalink, that'll take you to that single post :)

9. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[ot]
    Its old actually found in HWF attatchments...decided to put it on...Thanks anyways[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i used to hover my mouse over a post and read the post number from the tooltip, but i think the tooltip doesn't appear now[ot]cant remember how i found the post number now[/ot]BTW: right click pemalink and select "copy link location" then paste url into post