Ping responds "No resources."

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by hirak99, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hirak99

hirak99 Geek Trainee

Hi,

Lately if I leave my Internet connection on for a long time, it stops after a while, and a ping to any IP (including localhost or 127.0.0.1) returns "No resources." If I reboot the PC then the connection starts afresh. Does anyone know what this might mean?

I have recently reinstalled the modem driver for a different reason, and the problem started after that. Also, the previous instance of the LAN Connection and certain other Network Bridges which I tried unsuccessfully remain in the Registry (though they do not show up in Network Connections). I've posted some of those registry keys here: http://www.hardwareforums.com/uninstalled-connections-still-present-registry-19153/

I am using WinXP Pro, and an ADSL USB modem to connect to the Internet.

Thanks,
    Arnab

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Welcome to hardwareforums hirak99! :beer:

Next time it happens try doing this from a shell:

Code:
    ipconfig /renew

hopefully you won't have to restart the computer to get your net access back! Although i can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a permanent fix :/

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Sounds like the TCP/IP stack may not be initialising properly. Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer?