Planets in GIMP

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by Impotence, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Rore - Gimp tutorial - Planet creation

Attached is an example that i made (about 10 mins, with very little knowledge of the gimp!)

PS the background was desaturated plasma (rendered with Filters > Render > Clouds > Plasma).

Attached Files:

2. henry222

henry222 Geek

Looks a fine image...although I'm not sure the background shouldn't be black; as in deep space = nothing.
    Expensive on Ink, eh?
    The Gimp is a fine piece of software if you can only be bothered to use it - it suffers from most of the problems Photoshop and other clones suffer - too complicated for the average user to fix their dodgy photos.
    Creating is a different matter - have you used Linux - or is this a Win-version?
    - another art prog you might try is Inkscape ( Linux)...I think that's the name - it's a drawing/creation prog.
    Good luck.

3. Impotence

Windows! why would anyone want to use that? :p I'm running Kubuntu Feisty on my desktop (Planning to move to Debian Etch) and a triple boot on my laptop of Debian Etch, Backtrack (based on slackware/slax) and windows 2000 (It's there just in case i have to use some god awful windows only piece of software for college).

I was trying to create a nebula effect with the plasma.... as you can tell i didn't really put a lot of effort into it! but i did create a version with a plain black background (attached, i used it as my desktop background for a few days, centered with the fill set to black).

I see your new here, stick around! :) you can't go wrong with another Linux user :D (And if you take a look, there are quite a few linux users around :)).

I will take a look at Inkscape, thanks!

[OT]
    You have to love debian,
    Code:
    apt-get install inkscape

and its there! :)
    [/OT]

Attached Files:

4. henry222

henry222 Geek

Thanks, this bb doesn't appear to provide detailed user-OS/system so I was guessing yr OS.....but I've only used it with Ubuntu - 6.06 now but struggling... Today I still use Win98SE(oops!)
    The black background is "more-like" what I'd expect, but difficult to print - fine as a screensaver . . . . I guess no-one else will have seen that one.
    OS are still an issue- cost and agro over hardware changes would stop me upgrading.

Over here in the UK Vista is really expensive and apart from some issues, Ubuntu is far better than I'll ever need. However, I do have problems with Java (never have got that working) and printers...but it looks like a reasonablyly popular HP should suit when I finally spend some money. The PDF problem is now resolved since somone wrote a PDF viewer that included in 6.06 . . .I've never got my Lexmark printer to do photos under Linux but it's OK on PSP
    I've used The Gimp only to tidy-up my photos; but with 5.10 I downloaded Inkscape it's good fun too - except I have no need of it day-to-day. Yr "apt-get" msg is that how I install from root? I thought I had to go through repository to get all the extra files, links etc...it's very confusing and I am easily confuised, it seems. That was why I chose Ubuntu - at least "one mind" has pieced it together.

However, I must have java for streaming-prices, hence the fallback of Win98SE - surprising what can be run on that old stuff. Also my PC is pretty low-spec but if something works - - - .
    Good luck.
    H.

[[My Sys: is PII, 400Mhz, Broadband, Win98SE, 256k RAM, 6G.HDD and some USB-external storage, like pen-drive and HDD's. I think the video is 8Mb - Laugh! -But I don't play games at all.
    I can replace the Win-HDD with a 120G running Ubuntu although owing to gross incompetance (=here) I partitioned half of the drive so it's unusable (that's QParted for you!). The swap-file is OK and the main half is still large enough. I tried to create a separate 56G partition for my jpeg photos and text-notes etc., - but messed up. QParted says "not available" !!!
    I don't like to risk having different OS on the same PC/HDD - perfer to have separated HDDs - that way "a swap" and a new PC appears!]]

5. Impotence

Have you ever heard of automatix? Its a very easy way to install all the extra's that you could possibly need (including multimedia codecs for DVD etc & firefox plugins such as flash).