Planning some upgrades: new motherboard, ram, monitor

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Ashton, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

Okay. My graphics performance isn't that good, I blame my x4 Pci-e slot. Crysis and Flight Simulator X aren't played that well. I also want to go past 1280x1024, and my tiny monitor, I think it's well old. It's 17" and 16ms. The motherboard, It needs replacing, which mean I'm going to need some DDR2 because my current one has DDR.

Buget:
    Monitor: $350
    RAM: $50-100
    Motherboard: $200

Monitors:
    24' Widescreen LCD Monitor, 6ms Response Time, 1920 x 1200 DVI : oo.com.au
    A more 'brandy' monitor that would probably look better
    Product list
    I'm wanting a 1920x1200 monitor, and the Benq looks like it'll be better, but is it worth the money? Yeah, I know I won't exactly be playing Crysis at 1920x, but I will be using it on the desktop, playing movies (planning to eventually get blue-ray) and in Halo 2.

Motherboard:

I'm not sure how well Nvidia and ATI are going, but with one 9600 I'll just put another in 2-way sli later on. I want a good overclocker, that takes allot of ram (like 8-16GB), PCI-E 2.0, 1333 or 1600 FSB (yeah my E2160 is 800 but future-proof is good). I also want firewire.

RAM:
    I'm looking for 4GB DDR2. Should I get a good brand with a heatsink and low latency, or just generic?

I plan to to overclock the E2160 heaps.

And yeah I'm talking Australian dollars, Australian shops (pricespy.com.au, shopbot.com.au)