Playonlinux first impressions (wine front end)

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Impotence, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

playonlinux is a front end for wine that make its ridiculously easy to install and run a large selection of windows games (and applications) After enabling the community repository for the setup scripts (settings > repositories and select community), the official repository only contains a few scripts (but they are the only scripts more or less guaranteed to work!).

I was able to install and play "STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl" without any fuss, playonlinux also downloaded and installed DirectX9c and the Microsoft core fonts for me! there are also scripts for install WOW, steam etc (but i have not tried them yet).

playonlinux is not in the ubuntu repositories but you can add the repository, its key and install playonlinux with the following command.

Code:
    sudo wget http://playonlinux.botux.net/playonlinux.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list && wget -q http://playonlinux.botux.net/pol.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install playonlinux

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I have had a brief play around with this and I thought it was pretty good too. Wine-Doors is a good alternative, but it's aimed more at Windows applications.

I have to say that, after playing around with all the WINE-like applications, such as Wine-doors, Playonlinux, Cedega and Crossover, I have found Crossover to be better at games and applications. If only they could ditch the horrible looking GTK+1 interface with GTK+2....

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Huh, thats pretty cool, i'll have to look into that, granted, i have a cedega license at my disposal rate now, but that is still pretty interesting.