Please Help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Stu P, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Stu P

Stu P Geek Trainee

Hi I recently completed my second self build for my in laws. I used the same case as I did for my own self build I completed 3 months ago. I have learnt very quickly that the cheap generic PSU that comes in the case is rubbish, the inlaws having only had the computer for 3 weeks went to switch it on and there was nothing. Now they have had a few problems with there mains power supply, fuses blowing and the mains breaker tripping a lot, so I thought the fuse in the power cable or the surge protector had blown. I replaced the fuse in the power cable turned on the socket at the wall which was followed by a loud bang and a flash of light from the PSU. What is the likely hood this has done some serious damage to other components. To test this so far I have purchased a new PSU, but I get nothing when I turn on the power is this a bad sign and is there any thing I can do to find out what has been damaged.
    Sorry to go on but one final question, if the PSU has taken out other hardware where do I stand on returning the damaged components under warranty.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

It sounds as though it has taken most of your computer with it.
    There is a very small chance some other components such as the Video card, RAM and possibly the CPU has survived, but without testing them in another computer, there is no way of knowing what survived at the moment.
    Regarding the warranty, there is also a good chance that you won't be able to get anything replaced, unless it was definately caused by either the PSU or the surge protector.

3. Stu P

Stu P Geek Trainee

Thanks for the quick reply, not what I wanted to hear but probably knew it wouldn't be good news. I will try and test the compenents in a different coumputer over the next couple of days.