PLEASE! Need advice on Power Supply Compatibility ASAP! It's urgent - THANKS :)

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by TLCfiend, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TLCfiend

TLCfiend Geek Trainee

Hi All!

Because my current power supply is ready to go on fire, I just bought a BFG power supply, which was a big disappointment. Not only was it DOA (!), but the cables didn't reach my DVD/RW drives, and there were only 2 cables to connect my many fans to: (4 pin peripheral power cables: I need 9 of those (I think?), if you count my 2 hard drives, 2 dvd drives and 5 fans *OR* 5 fan connectors and 4 peripheral power cables. I do not need ATA connectors, although my system is ATA ready, just never configured it.

I also need a new power supply that has a 20+4 pin motherboard connector. The 20 pin is on the same cable as a the 4 pin, but it must be long enough to reach about 8 inches (distance between my 20 pin connector & 4 pin connector on my mb: BFG's was not). Because the BFG was DOA (even it it wasn't, I was incompatible with my system), I had to reinstall my old ANTEC True 550 power supply:115 watts. Although it has everything I need mentioned above, unfortunately, when I open my refrigerator, it blows more air than this power supply fan does. And currently, I could fry eggs on it. I have my case wide open now until I get a new power supply, with a tower fan running into it!

Here are my basic system specs:

Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard, Rev 1.xx
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (Socket 754, 2000 mhz)
    2 hds = 350gb
    2 DVD/RW Drives
    1 M-Audio 2048 Soundcard
    Nvidia GeForce 5700 video card (old, but still works)
    1 floppy drive (not using)
    RAM/DIMM = 2048
    OS = Microsoft Windows XP WorkStation SP 2 (Build 2600)

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS::confused:

1. Which power supply has connectors long enough to reach 2 hard drives, and 2 DVD/RW drives? I have a SMALL tower case, no where near the size of a server case, so just need the new power supply to have cables which can reach all components. This shouldn't be a biggie, but after the BFG experience, I am nervous. It wasn't even a matter of splitting the sleeve: the way the cables were configured, it was IMPOSSIBLE. My current configuration is as follows: 2 hd in lower sleeves, 2 DVD drives in upper sleeves: Max distance between lowest hd and highest DVD drive is 7.5 inches. So cable has to have enough room to reach all 4 components, with slack to connect them, of course.

2. Which power supply has enough 4 pin peripheral power cables to accommodate 2 hds, 2 dvd drives, and 5 fans. In case you need the fan info, I have: 1 case exhaust fan, 2 hard drive fans, 1 large side panel case fan, and front panel intake fan. I know this might sound excessive but, I have fried two motherboards already, and this one is going to be next if I don't get a good power supply - and fast!

3. I need a cable for the 20 + 4 pin connectors. IF they are in the SAME SLEEVE, I need the 20 pin to run BEHIND the cpu fan, i.e. not on a diagonal. Measuring the distance to run that from the 4 pin, (think 90 degree angle), the length needed for the 20 pin is 16 inches (8" x 8") from the 4 pin. The 4 pin is located directly under the power supply, so that should only require about 8-10 inches, I imagine.

4. My current power supply is 550v. Do I need to stay with that? Can I go up a notch, or will that blow up my system?

I really appreciate any help you could give me. This site with it's generous experts and regular technical users like me, has never disappointed in the past :). You guys have gotten me through building my own computer, and setting up a home music studio. It goes without saying, you are WAYYY at the top of my list for sites I recommend!

Again, thanks so much for your help! If I need to provide any other system specs, please let me know.

TLC
    :)

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Welcome!

I think i might be able to help you out. First, lets answer some of your questions:

I've never seen a PSU with more than 6 4-pin peripheral connectors. Maybe someone can defeat me to it. How are you connecting all 9 of those?

Most PSU's come with a 20+4-pin cable AND an additional 4-pin (ATX12V) cable. And yes, it should be long enough.

I had a similar question back in the day. The answer is no. Lets say you had a 550 Watt PSU but your system required 300 Watts to run it, your system would only use that 300 Watts and that's it. The only way your system will take advantage of the extra 200 Watts will be if you overclock or add more peripherals (RAM, Fans, HDD, etc.)
    According to this site, your system only requires 300 Watts to run so your good with 550. Even if you upgrade to a newer system in the future, 550 will most likely still run most of the newest stuff out there.

Can you tell me the exact model of your Antec PSU and the BFG one? Hope i was of some help thus far.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

- deleted stuff - advising Scorps65 to remove some text

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Oh, forgot about that donkey. Thanks ;)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

np, i don't want anyone to get banned

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Here's an example of the CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W. There are 2, 4-pin molex extensions. Each extension has 3 connectors. Also, there is 1 SATA extension with 3 connectors. That makes a total of 3 extensions.

Be advised that the lengths below apply to
    ALL MOLEX EXTENSIONS AND SATA EXTENSIONS:
    The entire length of one extension is 29 inches.
    The length from the beginning of the extension to the first connector is 18 inches.
    The length from the first connector towards the last connector is 11 inches (this beats your distance of 7.5 inches between your 2 DVD drives and 2 Hard Drives. This should be your main concern.)
    The length between each connector is about 5.5 inches.

Now, the length of the 20+4-pin connector, the [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ATX+12V 4-pin connector, and 6-pin connector are 18 Inches.

Check out some images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

7. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

What one needs to know about...the relation of the negative effects of heat on the computer...That can be caused by the power supply.

Manufacturers test their PSU's at a set temperature...from this their rating is determined... for most this No. is 25 degrees Celsius...which falls short of the temperature that most computers are capable of achieving.

Given that a PSU will actually lose 2-5 watts per one degree of heat above the 25 Degree Celsius testing temperature...coupled with the fact that computers tend to run at 10 degrees higher than room temperature... In the summer time when the room temperature can easily reach 80 degrees F... your computer will be running at 33 Degrees C. or 90 Degrees F.

So the...math can make...your 500 watt power supply into a 460 watt unit.

In addition to this...what needs to be taken into account is that each degree that your computer components are operating at...under powered...adds more heat to the equation.

Consider also...the possibility...that ratings given by the manufacturer of single components...such as graphics cards...need to be treated with skepticism...Manufacturers may minimize support issues and under rate the power required...in order to make a larger profit.

The above has not taken into account...the issue of high quality vs poor quality units...Power supplies convert voltages from wall outlets to lower levels used by the PC. During this conversion, some power is lost as heat. The efficiency level of the PSU determines how much extra power must be put into the power supply to run the PC. A high quality PSU can help reduce the noise and heat generated within a computer system. The higher the efficiency rating the less heat the PSU has to deal with.

Therefore heat is the computers enemy...The hotter the temperature your PSU is forced to run at...the poorer the supply of power the rest of the components will receive...which has been known to lead to such things as crashes, freezing, rebooting, BSOD’s, and video distortion, as well as partial and complete failure of other components.

The fact is very few PSU’s are capable of producing the wattage that the companies advertise.

For a very good comprehension of recommended brand names, wattage, and models in listed categories...Plus much more...check out this link. Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

Another informative article... http://www.hardwareforums.com/power-supply-sticky-5218/

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

9. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

[ot]No worries. I'm very active around here & always in a very good mood :)[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[ot]
    typical, you would be :chk:[/ot]

11. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Ya I know...that donkey never stops kicking...:D

Wow that was fast...the kicking donkey Avatar...just vanished. HEEEEE Stopped.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

found avatar on google image search, but now i can edit animated gif's[ot]haven't tried to create one from scrach yet[/ot]

13. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Better let your wife know about that one...LOL:p

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

there no wife here, i'm not married, in fact women confuse me, so i'm not interested, at least my PC doesn't answer back & argue

BTW: i hate arguments & computer usually does as it's told & if it doesn't, i can usually fix it fairly quick, if i can be ars3d

Edit: anyway after so many years alone, i figed i'm better off staying on my own

15. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

I understand...but I am sorry...I still can not help you...when you get horny.:bandit:

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

typical, guess i'll just have to do what i always do and suppress it[ot]the feeling[/ot]

17. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Tough life...
    What gives...Sometimes your avatar shows up...and then it doesn't show.
    Like it showed up before I replied...and after...it vanished again ????