Power issues with running a computer in a car

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by chowda633, Oct 20, 2004.

1. chowda633

chowda633 Geek Trainee

Ok... Im working on building a car server and I have a power issue to adress. Need some Ideas for this.

I need to figure out a way that when the power is cut from the car that it will shut down the computer. As in when I turn the car off it will automaticly put the computer in shut down mode. I figure I can run it off the battery as it shuts down. Is there a program, software, or piece of gear I could use to get it to shut down when I turn off the car?

Thanks,
    Doc

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'd say the best way would be to buy an inexpensive APS UPS. Then, attach the data port of the UPS to your onboard system. Configure either Powershute (for Windows) or NUT (for Linux/BSD) to have the computer go into shutdown mode immediately after it loses AC power. That way, you'll have reliable, uninterruptible power to your PC, and you'll be able to have it shut down automatically when the car is off (without going down HARD). The only downside is that you'll also have to shut down the UPS, or it will continue to run on battery power after it loses AC.

3. chowda633

chowda633 Geek Trainee

Interesting thanks for the help. But the thing is the computer is going to be an actual desktop computer built into the car. The case is going to be in the back and its going to be were the spare tire goes. Actually no case the MB will sit inside where the spare tire goes and lexan will cover the top of it so you can look into it. I was going to use a power converter attached to the battery for power I got a 700w I plan on using. That should power it fine. Will the software still shut it down being a desktop?

Thanks,
    Doc

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Of course, provided you have a UPS between the primary power source and the PC. Then the UPS will actually act as the moderator, and report when it loses power. You just have to configure the UPS software on your PC to shutdown a few seconds after the UPS loses power, rather than the default 5 minutes or so.

5. chowda633

chowda633 Geek Trainee

So UPS is the way to go? I didn't know that it came with software. Going to check out ebay for it lol. Also another power problem im having is the LCD Screen part. Is it going to be able to handle the load of an LCD screens power? Say I put in a 15inch LCD screen will the power it requires be to much for the power converter?

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

They dont come with software and if your getting it to be an uninteruptable power supply your going to want something reliable, not something used off ebay or like that.

WindowsXP has software embedded into it for dealing with a UPS. LCD screens dont need much power, you'll only need about 2 minutes of power max to shutodwn.

Control panel, Power Options, then click the UPS tab. You can set up a UPS from there.