'Power-on' buttons.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by DavidNW, Jul 23, 2007.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Is it possible to repair or replace a broken 'Power-On' button on a PC's case and perhaps the wiring that connects it to the motherboard? Or, is it necessary to buy a whole new case?

Many thanks,

David.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, you can if you can repair it although, it's easier to just replace the power switch , just disconnect it from the mobo & disconnect the switch from the back of the case's front panel, do any necessary repairs, you don't actually need a power switch, you can however, briefly short the two pins that the power switch plugs onto to turn the system on

Edit: just use a screwdriver tip to short the pins & leave it connected to the pins for 3 seconds to turn system off, as you would with the power switch

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, Dave.

I was just thinking how it could be achieved because a friend of mine says his 'Power-On' button has inexplicably cracked! He must have been very 'heavy-thumbed', so to speak!

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no probs, i like easy to solve problems, although, it must be about 10 or 15 years since i replaced a power switch, good job they haven't changed, cos it not very easy to mess inside my system now

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The power and reset switches use a momentary push button switch. The likes of Radio Shack or similar stores should have them.