Power Supply Issues

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by jim532, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jim532

jim532 Geek Trainee

ok, we have a Dell Pc, It won't start, when it's plugged in the green LED next to the motherboard connector is on, I want to verify if my problem is the power supply itself, the powerbutton or motherboard, I'm pretty sure its the power supply though. Can someone tell me witch 2 leads on the power supply connector to the motherboard(P1) need to be jumped together so I can try to manually turn on the power supply. Or if you guys have any other ideas on torubleshooting this let me know too.

This is one of those things where it worked fine yesterday and she shut it off at the end of the day and it wouldn't start this morning.

thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Off-hand, I'm not entirely sure, due to how Dell has proprietary power supplies. The connectors are the same, but the main 20 (or 24-pin) power connector is wired differently than normal PSU's.

Now, you mentioned two leads, and it's necessary to know if you have an AT power supply or ATX power supply. The AT power supply will have two 6-pin power connectors, while the ATX will have a 20 (or possibly 24-pin) main power connector and a 4-pin (2x2 pin configuration) auxillary connector.

3. jim532

jim532 Geek Trainee

all dell would tell me is that it's a "form factor" power supply,
    its a dell dimension 2400, so i beleive it's gonna be a 200 WATT ATX power supply, dell part # k0564

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, cool. I'm looking into this now and seeing if I can get a diagram or picture.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

6. jim532

jim532 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the info, turns out it was the power supply and not the power switch or Motherboard, and I was able to get a power supply at CompUsa