Power Supply Problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by beltin, Jul 3, 2007.

1. beltin

beltin Geek Trainee

Recently I went to start up my PC by pressing the power button on the front. The PC (which I think was the PSU) made a loud clicking noise then a smell of burning appeared :confused:. I disconnected the power supply imediately and check out the inside. I could not see any damage, and cleaned out the fans etc and removed the processor and re-applied with thermal paste thinking it may have been that causing it.

Since the 'click' and buring smell incident every time I try and boot my PC after turning on the PSU at the rear of the PC it does not boot imediately, and clicks over and over :(. I have to leave it about 5mins and then press the power button at the front of the PC and it starts up (as if giving it time for the PSU to sort itself out):( .

Now, if I shut down my PC it also restarts automatically straight away if I do not do not turn the PSU off at the rear of the PC.

After reading around elsewhere I am starting to believe that its the PSU that is dodgy and needs replacing + hope it is this as it is not as costly as a new mobo etc.

Thanks for taking time to read this, hope you all can help;) .

Cheers,

Beltin

2. beltin

beltin Geek Trainee

BUMP, no one going to reply??

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

before you damage your computer components replace the PSU!