power supply voltages improve after standby

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by amitlath, Sep 18, 2006.

1. amitlath

amitlath Geek Trainee

Hi all,

this is my first post here. i have quite a weird problem and do hope that i get a solution.

my configuration:

mobo: asus p5nd2-sli deluxe
    ram: ocz 667mhz gold 1gbx2 dual channel
    processor: intel 3gz prescott (i think 630)
    power supply: enermax noisetaker 480W

my problem is when i boot the computer the voltages reported are about

11.71V, 3.1V, 4.8V

however if i put the computer on standby and then wake it up, the voltages reported jump to:

12.01V, 3.31V, 5V

before standby, i can hear the cpu fan blowing quite hard and cpu temp ~= 52-53 C
    after standby, the cpu fan audibly slows down and cpu temp ~= 46 C

one more thing, if i "toggle" standby once again, down the voltages go to their prev values.

please let me know if anybody knows whats going on here.

thanks

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Are these reading from software within your operating system?
    Ive found software readings to be quite unreliable. On a friends PC when the CPU is under load the 12v reading drops to 7v but my multimeter still stays at about 11.9v

3. amitlath

amitlath Geek Trainee

i am using asus pc probe. i can audibly make out the fan blowing quite hard when the temps are up before standby and then it quitens down after standby (even if the pc was in standby for only an instant). i really dont think that its a software issue (though weird things do happen).

4. amitlath

amitlath Geek Trainee

i tried measurements with Everest too and am getting the exactly the same results. just thought i should inform here.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Everest is reading from the same sensors as Asus PC Probe.

Standby can turn off some components, and they may stay down until needed. Depending on the component, you can have the system turn it 'off' when not in use.

You will see some disrepency using software. Everest is saying my 12V is 11.84. I've measured it with a multimeter and know it's 12.01-12.03. Secondly, 11.71 is well within the +/-5% tolerance. This is on my main rig with an Enermax 535W unit.

The voltages being reported are after power has been passed around, so there are some drops. Unless you're able to count the drops and add up the resistance accumulated along with capacitance (and other electronic math), it's going to be pretty hard to guess what the starting voltage is. Even if you knew all that data, it's a helluva lot easier to just measure it from the source.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really antsy, get a digital multimeter and test the rails (there's a link in the PSU sticky with pictures),

6. amitlath

amitlath Geek Trainee

about some components turning off on standby, after waking up from it, even i keep working on the pc for hrs.. including gaming, programming, office and internet, the voltage rating remain rock solid at the higher values.

normally i wouldnt have worried about all this as you said. the only thing that bugs me is that the fan is too loud on boot up and to quieten it down i have to into standby and come back..:).

the voltmeter method might be a bit too technical for me and i dont even have one. maybe i'll see if i can get hold of a technical person to do it.

thanks for all replies.