Power supply vs. hard drive

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Voyager1000, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Voyager1000

Voyager1000 Geek Trainee

I have a new power supply and new hard drive after both packed up together.
    HOWEVER, When I try to connect the hard drive to the new power supply all I get is the motherboard fan 'twitching' and then... nothing.
    BUT if I disconnct the hard drive the computer powers up (pointlessly without the HD)
    Any clues - not too technical please.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it even applies. Could you list some specifics: the processor and video card and the particular power supply you are using (make and model)?

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

I have this problem, kind of, ever since I replaced my knackered AGP nFORCE 3 Board with a PCI E mATX nFORCE 430, if I power on my computer, the fans go for 3 seconds then turn off, and u have to unplug it from the mains completely and try again. The ONLY way to cure this, is by pluging in ONE extra 12cm Fan, as crazy as it sounds, it just does not start up without this 12cm Case Fan plugged in. Strange...

4. Voyager1000

Voyager1000 Geek Trainee

(ALL below is read from documentation & should not be mis-interpreted as in- depth knowledge of the hardware)
    We're talking pretty basic stuff by current standards:
    AMD Semphron 2600+64bit on an ASROCK K8 motherboard
    256mb Geforce FX5500 games AGP card.
    The new hard drive is like for like - Maxtor IDE Diamondmax
    The new PSU is also similar - 400w Winpower Atx (the old one was 400w Colorsit OE)

All help is greatly welcomed

5. Voyager1000

Voyager1000 Geek Trainee

I have an internal top case fan already plugged in - that plus the motherboard plus the fan in the PSU. This is the original config. from new. Can't see whats really changed but its not working.