power supply weakening?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by qbal1, Jan 3, 2009.

1. qbal1

qbal1 Geek Trainee

over many months i think my power supply is actually getting weaker. a long time ago it started having issues, it would just freeze and the hard drive light would either be stuck on or off. once the problem started my computer would freeze halfway through bootup. sometimes it was during the "detecting IDE" stage so its not a software problem. i thought this was a problem with the hard drive so i bought a new one. soon after (like 2 months) it happenned again. through expirementation i figured out unplugging one of my CD drives made the problem go away. i bought a new hard drive for other reasons and eventually the problem come back. and it continued and i unplugged my other CD drive but just yesterday i resorted to unplugging my lighted fans. my computer works now but i dont like running it without fans and i fear this problem could get worse. whats the chances this is a power supply problem? only thing connected now are HDD, motherboard, power supply.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'm uncertain as to if it can weaken but sure can cause problems with other components best way to find out is to get another PSU. (best to borrow one from someone if possible)

edit: the more stuff you add to your computer, the more power it wants, looks like your PSU is unable to handle the load, which means getting a new one.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Low-grade PSUs tend to sag more and more over time. This is because they barely put out enough power to begin with (often less than 1/2 of their rated wattage!), which taxes the capacitors until they begin to fail. For instance, Chinese PSUs that claim to be 750 watts are typically only capable of putting out 250 watts or so. Ultimately, I would replace yours with a better quality PSU, such as one made by Seasonic, PC Power And Cooling or Enermax.

That's not to say that some of your system components weren't already damaged by the unstable wattage in the system... After replacing the ailing PSU, it's worth it to test the RAM overnight with Memtest86+. Even one memory error is one too many, and can be indicitive of one or more failed memory module(s)!

4. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

The power supply unit in today's modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system.

A poor PSU can also cause other components to fail in your computer.

The right Brand names = Quality
    Some approved Brand names follow...

Seasonic - any model
    Corsair - any model
    Thermaltake - "Toughpower" series only
    Coolermaster - "Real Power Pro" series only
    PC Power & Cooling - any model
    Silverstone - any model

Unless you are not into some serious gaming a 650 watt or higher will take care of your needs...PCI-E requires 26 amps at 12 volts. That's a 650W...Quality...PSU.

If you are a serious gamer a 750 Watt, or a little higher will be all that you would need.

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum