Power UP logical steps

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by christop007, Mar 29, 2006.

1. christop007

christop007 Geek Trainee

hi guys and girls,
    thanks for looking at my post and hopefully someone will be able to help me out
    i am looking to investigate the logical steps to trouble shooting step if a PC wont power up

this is the research that i have and steps that i would take to trouble shoot the area are as follows

can anyone tell me if i am on the right lines on my investigative journey and if i am missing any basic steps and also if i have the things i would try are in the correct logical order

1 Make sure power cable is plug into both the socket and the computer and the socket is switched on
    2 check the fuse on the socket
    3 change the power lead and or power supply
    4 check for earth leakage( if a screw or something has come loose inside the unit) and has could have shorted out the mother board
    5 check the power switch on the unit
    6 use a voltage meter to check at what point if any the power is not getting to the motherboard

can anyone guide me in the right direction if i missed anythig logically that i should be checking

thanks for your help
    christop007

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I think you've covered all of the power related problems.

-Try the power supply in another computer
    This will determine whether the power supply is functioning correctly or not

-Are the CPU fan/Case fan(s) spinning?
    This will determine whether power is going through the motherboard

-Do the lights shine on the motherboard?
    This will determine whether power is going through the motherboard

If you have eliminated all of these factors and still can't boot the PC, I would suspect a faulty motherboard. The computer would boot or beep even if a dead CPU, bad memory or faulty graphics card were installed.

-Look for leaking or bulging capacitators on the motherboard
    -Clean away excess dust

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv