Power up = short burst of both fans, then nothing

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by kevin2007, Jul 9, 2008.

1. kevin2007

kevin2007 Geek Trainee

Hi
    Turned computer off last night, normal shutdown OK
    This morning, turned on and both fans turned with an initial burst, then nothing.

Swapped PSU from another machine - same thing

Indicator light on mobo is lit.

???? If I keep hitting the ON button, each time it gives a burst of activity on the fan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. kevin2007

kevin2007 Geek Trainee

Machine now working

in desperation, I took the battery out and just replaced it

Bingo, off she went

IS THIS A COINCIDENCE or is there a possible reason ??

Im glad to have the comp running again, but mysteries leave me uneasy

Anyone have any ideas?

3. kevin2007

kevin2007 Geek Trainee

continuing

I have found probable cause, which is likely to NOT be anything with PSU

Today, I had the same problem again

I removed the battery, replaced it and off the computer went again.

This time I have worked out the probable cause.

I had been using a 1 Terrabyte External Hard Disk

This has allways prevented me from booting in XP [had to turn it off and then comp would boot OK.]

Computer has D865PERL mobo with latest Bios P21

Vista obviously has a different reaction.

I will gather the facts and create a new Post in a more appropiate Forum section

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I'm glad you got it sorted, but I can't imagine that was Vista which was doing that. If you'd only just powered up, the BIOS would still be doing a POST. Vista wouldn't have been started by then.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds more like a hardware problem, check the ram to make sure it is seated right,
    It also sounds like it COULD be the Motherboard going Bad..Also look for shorts or bad wires..

6. TMM M45T3R

TMM M45T3R Geek Trainee

I had exactly the same problem the other day, I was using my PC then all of a sudden it went completely powerless, and when I tried to turn it back on there was nothing, just a minute rotation of the fan, and all l.e.d's were on, just no power. I just bought a new power supply and it's working fine now I just got a 550w extra value one off ebuyer it had ok reviews, so if it happens again I would say it's the power supply on the way out, replacing it was the only thing that worked for me

7. Fred

Fred Moderator

My thoughts exactly. When I encounter people who get those short bursts, it usually doesn't go away so easily. Regardless, it immediately makes me lean towards the PSU, mobo, or RAM.

Are you sure that your PSU is sufficient for the parts in your computer? If this happens again, you can unplug all the unnecessary parts from the computer and power it up to see if it displays. Basically, just leave power to the video card (if it needs it) and the mobo. Obviously, leave the RAM in place, but unplug things like the hdd, optical drives, etc.

Also, while you're in there (in the case), check for blown capacitors.

Lastly, when this is occurring, you should be able to remove all sticks of RAM (while the computer is off and unplugged) and the computer should just beep at you, giving an error code. If this is not happening, there is more than likely a problem with the BIOS/Motherboard.

8. jdejo

jdejo Geek Trainee

My laptop is doing similar business. Power = wifi led, dvdrom led, battery-charging led, then dead. It takes about 3 seconds, i.e. no bios loading. The problem has been intermittent, but increasingly worse. I have also seen hd sector fault messages from time to time, but that is either an artifact or unrelated, since the bios should be able to load even in the absense of the hd. When I remove the wifi card, the hd and dvdrom, power = blink of battery led and then dead, completely silent. Under no circumstances does the power led come on.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?