Power users

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Willz, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i got an idea, for all the members on the forum that are regular members, that have helped alot of times, and have high post count, like above 1000, (dont know if it really matters about post count) we should have a new user group, like Power Users or somthing, and all those in that group have helped people alot, and are active alot.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I totally agree with this idea

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Godd idea and all, but what purpose does it serve?

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah sounds like a good idea. although what would the power users get the benefit of?

*feels like Power Ranger*

"Go go power users!"

5. Willz

well, they could have some sort of exclusive forum, only for the power users, to discuss issues and things to dow ith everyhitng, and the forum.

also, just been a power user would mean, your recognised as someone who is Active and has helped alot.

also been called power users was only a suggestion, maybe some other name colud be used if this idea goes through, like Advanced Member

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

We already have most of that stuff in place right now. We have the user ranks, although these are the default custom titles which can be changed by the user...as many of you have discovered.

I sent a link to this thread to Sniper and AT to see what they think. I don't care either way, but just know that some of the stuff is in place already.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The "power users" are the salt of HWF, the cream of the crop. Power users, we value you very much here. My only concern is that if we implement this kind of thing, we might ruin part of what makes HWF such a good forum. What I mean by this is that seperating the new users from the experienced ones could be seen as elitist, which is exactly the opposite of the existing atmosphere of helpfulness we already have. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems like this might be counter-productive.

The only forums we have here which are limited to some users are the B/S/T forums (need 50 posts) and the Staff Forums, which is used, albiet rarely, by HWF staffers as a sort of meeting room to make decisions. I say rarely, because unless the topic is sensitive in nature we tend to do it out in the open like we are in this very thread.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah good point AT.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If we had a subscription-type setup where there would be extra forums for members with a paid account, that would be another thing, but that would probably look to add extra forums. I've seen this implemented in some circles, and I just remember it locking down a general chat area and/or adding a 'mature' discussion section. I'm not sure that what we're after.

The other thing is, if we feel that there's a member that has a good knowledge and a mature attitude, among other things, we look at them as possible additions to help out as a mod, or, in some cases, as an administrator. There's no specific formula for this---more principles than anything. It's a responsibility, but it can be considered as a reward from a certain point of view.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I remember Sniper mentioned a Paid Subscription a while back, that'd be a good idea.

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

With a subscription-type service, yes we could offer additional forums and such but as power users (or active members) you guys already can have custom titles, have a higher pm limit than normal members.

Big B and Anti-Trend have already made good points, as to possible issues we could have.

I guess I could look into a system, where we could have a member of the month or something similar.

In the middle of May, I can get back to working on forums more often than not. Numbers of features have been suggested in the past, which should be implemented and the optional premium members option.

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Cool, I do agree with AT's point that it may make some people look elitist and could make new members feel intimidated.

13. Addis

Addis The King

Agree with AT, HWFs treats everyone fairly whether they're an expert or a novice and it should stay that way. Maybe a voted member of the month, but I think thats as far as it should go. Helpful posts already helps distinguish valuable members.

14. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Thats an interesting idea as for the power users I wouldnt mind if it was/not implemented

15. Willz

should of really had a vote up to easilly settle this

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While we do consider things suggested by the members, we are in no way obliged to enact them.

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah, I think what AT said is right, it will promote the kind of "They're better than you" image that HWF doesn't want. A member of the month is a good idea though.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can see both sides of this. I totally agree that HWF's should continue to keep it's balenced attitude but at that same time one of the reasons I stuck around awhile after my first post got answered was because it looked really cool to have a high post count, flashy sig, and custom title. Haveing more distinguishing features like the whole "senior lounge" power user thread or whatever may simply entise new users to stick around and be as helpful and supportive as possible.
    Off Topic: After looking at the user titles I think there could really be something in between Alpha Geek and Post-Wh0re, the difference of 3000 points is pretty major. Uber Geek perhaps?

19. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Not a bad idea but in which way? Posts or Helpful?

[ot]
    I am just here because I want to learn new things in computer and environment on this website is good but I dont know what others want????? A title of Staff Member or Advanced Member will satisfies them. Strange!!!
    What will they get with that?(I belive personal Satisfaction)
    [/ot]

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I think that sounds good, it doesn't promote the 'elitist' view that some may have and yet it gives people a reason to stick around.
    Yeah maybe something around 3,500 posts should have a new title?
    Posts shouldn't contribute to a 'Member of the month' vote / poll IMO. Maybe do it on general contributions, helpful points could be a problem too as not all new members know about the points system and because of this there are a lot of 'missing' helpful points.
    Me personally I don't stay around for the personal user titles, I stick around because I like the community here and I want to offer what support I can to those who need it. If someone told me I wasn't allowed on HWF anymore I would feel really bad - I like it a lot here.