? Printer and Scanner Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by Anti-Trend, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm in the market for a good scanner and a printer to compliment it (for my wife), and I'm interested in some educated input. The scanner needs to be 100% Linux compatible, because it will be used exclusively in that OS. Slightly older scanners are OK as long as they use an analog-type lens rather than a LCD one, and USB. As for the printer, she needs a multi-cartidge color inkjet with a USB interface, and ultraviolet ink curing (like the HP 5500 series). Linux compatibility is not necessary, but would be a plus. I don't expect this forum to do all the research for me, but any input you have would be great to supplement my own research.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hmmm, what would be your main use for the printer, if its mainly just text, would you wana consider buying a laser printer? I know the cost of the toners is expensive but they last for ages.

soz, dont know much about scanners :) hehe

3. Anti-Trend

I'm an HP Printer Tech by certification </me hautily puffs out chest>, so of course I have an HP laser at home. ;) This printer would be for photos and the like, and a color laser is a little out of our price limitations. I guess I should've stated what the printer was for right out front, huh? :p

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd say some of those Samsung ML17xx, but I don't think they meet a good chunk of your requirements. They are pretty cheap tho.

5. Anti-Trend

Samsung, huh? I am a fan of Samsung 'DF' series monitors, their multiplex business machines, and their optical drives, but I've never used a samsung inkjet before. I was kinda thinking about the HP 5550 but they've recently redesigned the chassis to be a little weird. I'm not sure if the chassis was the only thing that was changed, so I'm anxious about forking out $100 for one now... :swt:

6. Sniper

the Samsung ML17xx is quite good from what I have read. Also for a colour printer I've read good reviews on the Canon Bubblejet I250 and the newer versions...

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually the Samsung ML17xx series are laser...and very cheap too.

8. Sniper

yep, they are quite cheap here in the UK, a review will be coming up soon, as I got one, hehe

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know one of them is less than $100 USD...I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these for my office.

10. Anti-Trend

Hmmf, sounds pretty good. I'll be researching that one for sure. Thanks guys! :)

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I know it's quite expensive but at school we have some HP 4300n, and let me tell you that it's extremely fast !

Can do up to 45 ppm.