problem starting pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by uchatt, Jul 23, 2002.

1. uchatt

uchatt Geek Trainee

when i power on my pc, in the middle of POST, the computer hangs, with the following message "verifying DMI pool data...". In case however, i change the BIOS setting under Chipset Features Setup - System Bios Cacheable to "Enabled", the Windows starts normally.

I shall be grateful if the problem is explained, and a solution be indicated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q287553

That link is directly from Microsoft's Knowledge base, and discribes exactly what problems you are having. Unfortunately, it's a hardware problem---which you seem to have fixed.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but that's about the best I could find on it. I really can't say I have a clue about what went on as I'm no Windows god by any means.

Out of a very wild guess based on this info, it's something that your OS didn't like with that System BIOS Cacheable being disable. I don't really know what hardware you have, but it could be remedied with a BIOS update from your motherboard manufacturer.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

If you can post your hardware configurations I'll take a quick look through the latest MSDN & Technet cd's and see if I can find anything.

I'm guessing the same thing as Big B that's is probably a motherboard issue.

4. uchatt

uchatt Geek Trainee

Thanks Big B + Syngod !
    Its a nice warm feeling to share probs and solutions. Sorry I couldnt respond quicker.

Motherboard: Zida (Tomato) 5SVA
    Chipset : VIA VPX (580 VPX - Prime 3C - 2A5LDZ1AC - 00
    BIOS : Award P&P extension V1.0A (ROM PCI/ISA 2A5LDZ1A)
    Processor: IBM 6x86 MX - PR 233
    Graphic Accl. Card : Phantom (4MB VRAM)

System Bios Cacheable "Disabled" seems to be the default option. Is my guess correct? I am not too happy running my PC with System Bios Cacheable to "Enabled". Could problems develop?

Could someone tell me how the booting sequence operates in connection with the (ROM?) routine "verifying DMI Pool Data". And where is the Desktop Management Interface (DMI) Data Pool located? Somewhere on the HDD at some fixed location whose address is known to the BIOS Routine?

Totally :confused: uchatt

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I can't say I know the relationship there, but I can check around and see what's up.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

If every thing seems to work, I would not worry about it, considering what Big B has posted!

Don't worry about it developing problems, If you do, you can let us know and we will be happy to help you!

7. uchatt

uchatt Geek Trainee

Just to say thanks to all you folks.