Problem With Radeon 9600XT

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Velkyan, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

I have a problem with my graphics card.
    This is my system config:

HIS Radeon 9600XT 128Mb TURBO 500/650
    Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz
    512MB RAM DDR 333mhz
    ASUS A7V8X-X
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Win98 SE / WinXP SP1
    Updated BIOS, Catalyst, Motherboard, DirectX, etc. drivers.

When I turn on the computer and it has been off for a long period of time (3 hours or more) and I start any 3D based game, the card displays bad textures and polygons. And in WinXP the desktop shows incorrect textures (not in Win98). Rebooting doesn't solve this problem. But if I turn off the computer and turn it on again in a short period of time (less than a few hours) every thing works fine.

Any suggestions?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I hate to answer a question with another question, but what type / wattage PSU do you have? The fact that the amount of time your PC has been off has anything to do with video behavior strikes me as a power supply issue.

3. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

I have a 350 watt PSU that came with my 40€ case

4. Anti-Trend

Yup, sounds like the culprit alright. I'd say a wise investment for you would be an Enermax or Antec 400watt (or better) PSU. You could actually get by with a 350watt from either of those excellent brands, but there's not much price difference so you may as well go all the way.

5. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

Thanks. Tomorrow I'll have a brand new PSU and a quite artistic new paperweight ;-)

6. Anti-Trend

Sounds good; let us know how it goes...

7. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

I've bought a 480 watt Thermaltake PSU, but i'm still having the same problem. I'm starting to lose my nervers.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Might be heat related. Make sure the fan on the card is spinning and that you've got some airflow through the case.

9. Anti-Trend

Well, I'm sorry to hear that did not solve your problem. But a good trustworthy PSU is never a bad investment, so that's one less thing for you to worry about. Now, I know you said you get corrupted graphics in Windows XP, but can you play 3D games without any problems in 98? That will help us troubleshoot hardware issues.

10. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

When I first boot I have corrupted graphics in the XP desktop, the wallpaper is shown incorrectly and so the taskbar and the icons. This doesn't happen in Win98. The problem with 3D doesn't depend of the operating system, i have the same problem in 98 or XP. But when I turn off and on again the computer everything start working correctly. Sure it's strange.

About the temperature, the graphic's core doesn't go beyond 45ºC, and I have a couple extra fans in my case. The card works well even of intensive use.

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

have you overclocked it at all? if you have that can cause major artifacts..

12. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

No overcloking at all, but the memory runs at 650 instead 600 (TURBO version, default speed) and the core at 500 (default speed, too)

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

it's not called a TURBO version, its just what HIS have named the product, what happened was the 9600XT came out at default speeds of:
    500 core speed
    300 memory speed (9.6gb memory bandwidth)

problem with this was that everyone was abit disappointed as the 9800Pro did quite abit more, for not much less. so most companies requested that ATI allowed them to modify the card.. normally they are reluctant to allow this but in this case did.. thats the reason your card runs at 650 instead of 600 (default 9600XT runs at 600 Dual 300mhz DDR = 600mhz)

and the modified cards run at: Dual 325mhz = 650 (10.4GB memory bandwidth) - if i'm wrong plz correct (its off top of my head)

also..

my machine runs:
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Saphire 9600XT 128mb (500/650)
    60GB Western Digital ATA133
    512mb Corsair XMS pc3200 (2x256mb)
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    LG 8x Dual DVD-RW -&+
    16X DVD NEC
    XP Pro SP1
    3 Case Fans

and thats all on a PSU that came with my case.. only a 300W psu (Encer)

and i dont have any problems at all with it (although i will be getting a bigger psu as mine is incredibly loud)

14. Addis

Addis The King

how is codegen for PSUs? I think i may be having a problem with one. its a 400W.

15. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

Thank's for the info. Now it's obvious that the problem wasn't the PSU, but we still don't know what is happening to the computer. I don't want to return the card until there weren't another possibility, beacause I couldn't use my PC for a time. Suggestions?.

16. Anti-Trend

The trial and error method. Swap your video card with another which you know works, and see if you have similar problems. Inversely, Install your video card in another working system and see if you can reproduce the issues.

17. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

Good idea, I'll search for another AGP card, because my old card was PCI.

It appears to me like a config or software problem more than a hardware issue, but I'll wait until I test it on another PC.

Oh, I forgot: When I turn on my PC and then turn off in the boot menu (whithout running windows) and later turn it on again, the card doesn't run properly. So if i don't run windows and turn off, on the computer again, the card doesn't work.

18. Velkyan

Velkyan Geek Trainee

I had no problems with a Radeon 9200SE, and my Radeon 9600XT worked in another computer.

I've been searching and reading other forums and I have discovered that there are a lot of compatibility problems with VIA KT chipsets and Radeons 9600. So, i'll have to wait for a working motherboard driver/BIOS, or change my mobo for a nForce one, for example.

Thanks for the help.