Problem with Speedlink SL-6682 Racing wheel

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by furhec, Jul 23, 2008.

1. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

I am sorry if I put this topic to a wrong section of this forum. I am new guy on this forum and I need your help!
    Four days ago I bought a new racing wheel for my PC. Unfortunately I cant get this wheel to work. Every time I connect this device to my PC I get the same message every time, it says ( "USB Device not recognized" one of the USB devices connected to the computer has mailfunctioned and windows doesnt recognized it. Please click this bubble for help. ) I got the drivers but they dont help. The device is not recognized. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, in those four days I tried 6 different versions of windows : XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista Ultimate, Vista Ultimate SP1 and on either of those versions I get the same message. If someone has the solution to solve this problem, please tell me! Thanks for your help in forward.

Here is my PC :
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 (socket 775)
    Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20 GHz
    Graphic Card : nVidia GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB
    USB : 2*USB 1.1, 4* USB 2.0
    Sound Card : Realtek High Definition Audio
    RAM : 3*1GB Corsair

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 AMW0SC9N IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 ATA Channel 0 OK
    IRQ 15 ATA Channel 1 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 945G/GZ/GC/P/PL PCI Express Root Port - 2771 OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT OK
    IRQ 16 High Definition Audio Controller OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D6 OK
    IRQ 19 Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC OK

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

It must be faulty USB ports or you should probably get another wheel. Have you tried all 4 2.0 ports?

3. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

Yes. I tried every port on my computer and I have 6 ports, 4 in the back and 2 in the front. I have only 2 USB 2.0 ports and on neither of those work, but on my old computer I have 2 USB 1.1 ports and on either of those works perfectly. So I dont think that a new wheel will solve the problem because on the older computer it works. I have istalled updated drivers for motherboard but it didnt solve the problem. I even updated my BIOS but that didnt work either.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I don't mean to sound like a bad guy here but it seems to me that the drivers aren't installed properly, even though you stated that you've installed them already.
    Try again:
    1. Disconnect the Wheel.
    2. Uninstall the Wheel driver by pressing Start > Control Panel > Device Manager. Or right-click your My Computer icon and select Properties. In the Properties window, select Device Manager.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Plug in the Wheel and install the drivers from this link: Software

This better work!!! :doh:

5. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

I have done this several times in last week but it didnt help and the drivers that you gave me I dont think so that they are drivers for my wheel....because if you start the install it says "Installation wizard for Roadstar steering wheel" I have 2in1 Silver lightning wheel. But I tried them and they didnt work.......
    But in the Device Manager the wheel isnt recognized so it is called "Unknown device" when I click properties to uninstall the drivers in the Device Status box is labelled "no drivers installed for this device"
    Here is the proof that I have installed the driver that you gave me link to....[​IMG]

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I'm really out of options here buddy. If this wheel works on other computers but not on yours than obviously you have a problem with your hardware unfortunately. I would say its a Windows problem but you said you've tried installing it on various OS's.
    My advice to you is to install a fresh copy of Windows XP or VISTA again by formatting your machine and see if it works. If it doesn't than it MUST be your motherboard that is faulty.

If it is a motherboard issue, i wouldn't bother buying another one as it would be too costly and a big hassle. See if you can get another wheel.

7. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

I have contacted the manufacturer for the wheel and I am waiting for their response.

8. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

Hey felllas. How are you? I am great. Actually I am fantastic. I have managed to get my wheel to work. I wasnt the OS Problem or something like that. It was just my motherboard USB ports weren compatible with my wheel. So i took a usb PCI card from my old comp and connected with my comp and it work perfect. Thank you for you solutions. Sometimes its just compatibility......Thank you.....

9. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Ha i think it must of been the compatibility issues between the 1.1 version and 2.0
    congrats on the solution :cool:

10. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

Ok. I have some bad news guys. Sudenly when playing Racedriver GRID my wheel freezed and It started giving messages USB device not recognized.......I am gonna break my computer......

11. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

do you have another wheel that you can test out?

12. furhec

furhec Geek Trainee

No. I have a joystick and the joystick works perfectly.....