problems with BB connections

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by gardengirl, Jan 27, 2007.

1. gardengirl

gardengirl Geek Trainee

[​IMG]

OK so I'm more [​IMG] than [​IMG] so please treat me gently!!

With my DUC I had a fairly stable connection, few drop-outs and such. I've been on BB since early December and though 90% of the time the connection remains stable, everyso often I get a connection failure which is driving me mental! So far it's happening about 1-3 times a week on a daily average of around 4-8 hours a day on-line.

I mod on a big board very similar to this (different subject matter!) and I'll have worked on a report for around 45 mins, making a nice, explanatory message to a member why their post has violated the forum rules and please could they .... etc., with links and quotes. Then I hit the submit button only to find the connection's failed and I've lost it all!! [​IMG]

My ISP is TalkTalk and when I got through to them they just (verbally) shrugged their shoulders and said it was my extension that was causing the problem and I should plug the modem directly into the main supply port!

Now I ask you! Who is going to be able to do that these days? Everyone I know has coils of telephone extension wire in their house!

In my house the main telephone port is in the hall at the foot of the stairs. The house is run with a myriad of extension cables to supply telephones to all the three bedrooms, the kitchen and lounge. The cable to the lounge where I use my laptop and do nearly all my on-line stuff is direct from the port with, at a guess, 35-40 feet of cable. At the end is the micro-filter and my modem.

Are they right about this? Has anyone any suggestions that make sense?!!

Also, for a relative, is it possible to get a micro-filter that will take a modem and two telephones instead of just one, thereby avoiding a pyramid of adaptors? If so, anyone got a link?

Thanks in advance to all you clever guys!

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Perhaps try the connection from the master socket. Just in case this does not mean much - the first socket in the house which BT supplied and are responsible for. If you are still getting connection drops, it could very well be a faulty line or some other BT hardware. I had a similar problem. It started with random drops like yours and escalated to terrible noise on the line and eventually a complete loss of the line.

BT would not listen to me until I convinced them that the problem persists while I am connected to the master socket. As far as they are concerned if the problem is only on a socket which they did not install, stuff you.

ISP's will never take responsibility for things like that unless they know that they are having hardware issues. It is always easier for them to hide behind BT's incompetence....

I would start with checking while on the master socket.

Hope this helps.