PS Issue with Dual Xeon

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ghostman, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ghostman

ghostman Geek Trainee

I am currently having an issue with a new server build I am working on(Extended ATX tower)...It is an ASUS Z8PED12 MOBO with two xeon 5520 CPUs...The PS is an OCZ 500W with two 12V rails (1 4pin and 1 8pin connector for the cpus). I have used a 4pin to 8pin adapter so that both 8pin female power jacks are used on the MOBO. When I first turned on the system, it would reboot about 5-7 min after starting...it would do this cycle many times until i just turned it off. I tried it today and the server will not turn on at all...Do i need a better suited PS? This is seemingly a power issue...any thoughts?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It is possible. I don't know if it has enough power on the +12V rail devoted to the CPU power. If it's 18A, it should be fine if it's supporting just the CPU's and not too much else. Each CPU is 80W, so you have a total of 160W. If it's an 18A rail to feed the CPU, I imagine your probably good on that end. (12V*18A=216W). Also, if it's been used for awhile, the age of it could be screwing with you.

It wouldn't hurt to try another power supply. Its also possible there's an overheating issue that needs to be looked at with the heatsink installation.

I checked out Asus site to see if there was a recommended PSU list, but couldn't find one. It might not hurt to get ahold of them and see if there's any particular recommended units.

3. ghostman

ghostman Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice, I found out why the computer wasnt turning on that morning and it was a simple stupid issue of the PowerSwitch not being connected to the MOBO; however the reboot issue remains. Ive done some testing and the behavior is that it does the reboot at 6 min 40 seconds after i boot an OS installer. If i start the system and stay in the BIOS screen it will not reboot. This is a completely new installation with all new parts. Ive seen some posts that indicate that voltage issues with the memory can occur when the MOBO is running the MEM at a voltage higher than the stick can support...So ive been trying to find a way that i can actually lower the speed on the BIOS and not just VIEW the voltage. I have dissembled the cpu from the heatsink a few times which could possibly have damaged the integrity of the thermal gel, but not certain.