ps2 wont read game disc

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by kool_azn, Apr 9, 2006.

1. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

ok, my cousin was messin wit my ps2 and he changed the disc speed on the PS driver it was on standard and then he changed it to fast, next he told me he changed the Texture mapping to smooth, after that it worked but when i played it later it didnt work (that little mofo) :mad: anyone kno how to fix this problem?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try cleaning the disc, just rub it on your t-shirt or something

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Use a lens cleaning CD

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Can't you just change the settings back. Sorry I don't have the manual handy but there's probably a way to just reset the consoles settings to default.

5. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

well its not the disc, the ps2 will like start loading the cd and then it would jus stop.yea and i did try changing the settings back but it still wont load it up

anyone know where else i can get help with this?

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Try adjusting the height of the laser in your PS2. Maybe somehow in the first setting adjustments it it got moved

7. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

how do i do that?

8. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Are you trying to play a ps1 or ps2 game. Texture Mapping and Disc speed are all for ps1 games, they shouldn't affect ps2 games at all. Anyway, when you're at the config screen press triangle to set the settings back to default if thats what you think it is.(you'll need to press triangle again to get the options where it says playstation driver) Otherwise it could be a dirty laser, OR your ps2 may have kicked the bucket (i've seen this happen) Try all kinds of games, both ps1 and 2. My friend's ps2 only plays ps2 games as the ps1 cpu in his kicked the bucket.

I actually opened my ps2 up and cleaned the laser with a Q-tip cotton swab with a small amount of alcohol, then dried it with the other side. This fixed a few ps2s in my neighborhood.

Finally, go to the browser and check to see if the game is even detected.(you may have done this) if you get "disc read error" then the problem is lens related, not "driver settings" related.

Any other questions, just keep posting, i've got my ps2 here handy and i can toubleshoot with ya.

9. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

nah i dont get the disc read error, what happens is that it would start reading and then it jus suddenly stops reading

10. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

o yea and im playin ps2 games

11. beretta9m2f

what type of game are you trying to boot? PS2? or PS1?

12. beretta9m2f

sounds like a lens cleaning problem to me. you have one of two choices, purchase a lens cleaning disc (the one with the lil brush) but that didn't work for me, or do the Q-tip option, which did work for me and many others.

13. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

oooook i fixed it (even tho it took forever) all i do is jus press the open and close button thing for several times then it starts working.

14. beretta9m2f

lol awesome, sorta reminds me of the old PS1 days when i had to til it on its side in order for discs to be read. sheesh Sony, whats up with THAT?

15. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol my PS1 was upside down with something like a brick on top.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Congrats on fixing it, the weird thing is I did the same thing to mine (change the options) to see what would happen and everything looks the same and there's nothing wrong. Weird.