PS3 Graphics

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by RonBurgundy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Geek Trainee

I was just wondering, will the ps3 graphics be as good or better then the XBOX 360s? People's theory is that they will be alot better because ps3 delayed their release, so they think that was to make the graphics better, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything because I'm considering buying one of the two.

2. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

Well, in terms of brute hardware and what's "under the hood", the XBox 360 overpowers the PS3 in nearly every category. First of the CPU, which the main core of how everything works. Both of the systems will have a CPU which runs at a speed of 3.2 GHz, but the 360's will/does have multi-threading capabilities meaning it can multi-task much quicker than the PS3. The GPU, which is the Graphics Processor, is a bit more of a tight race. The XBox 360's GPU will have more overall power, and the ability to generate more stunning, detailed graphics, while the PS3 will have a GPU which runs at 550 MHz, as compared to the 360's which will run at 500 MHz. (Speed)
    And lastly, System Bandwith. The 360 absolutely kills the PS3 in this category, exceeding it by five times.

XBox 360 System Bandwith : 278.4 GB/s
    PS3 System Bandwith : 48 GB/s

Source for info : http://media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951/img_2812505.html

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

yeah the tough thing is that you get vastly different results depending on what you want to belive and where you look. At this point it's up in the air as nobodys actulally seen what the PS3 can do save a cheesy tech demo or two. In good time we'll see it all in motion and it should be very impressive but for right now I don't want to say for sure. Some games will natually look better than others. As some are exclusive while others hit multiple platforms so they'll look worse as they have to be scaled down to funtion on say the gamecube or whatever.
    Here's something to look at for a bunch of opinions on the matter, belive it, or choose not to it's up to you.
    http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000367043866/

4. Addis

Addis The King

I'm quite astounded at your statements.

You imply that the PS3 will not have multithreaded capabilities? You couldn't be further from the truth. Not only does the Cell (very advanced processor developed by Sony/IBM and co) have parallel processing capabilities, it has more TLP performance than the generic IBM CPU that the 360 uses. The 360 has 3 symmetric cores running at 3.2GHz. The Cell has 7 SPE's all individually processing data. These although very powerful, are difficult to program for. Thats why its considered ahead of its time.

The graphics I'm not too certain on. The PS3 will use the reality synthesizer, or the RSX. Its a bit more powerful than the G70, which is nVidias 7800GTX GPU. As we know, it is very high performance and rivals if not beats the ATi cards to compete with. The 360 will use a GPU closely related to ATi's R520, which is used in the X1xxxx card. How you can ascertain that the 360 will be able to offer better graphics.
    Unless you work for Sony, and have detailed inside reports on exactly how development has turned out you're talking out your ass. We can look at numbers, but that does not translate to better overall quality. We must wait and see for ourselves and compare them both before making such statements.

And yes, the Xbox does have more bandwidth, considerably. Whether that will make any difference is debatable. We'll see.

And the last thing that we must keep in mind is that the quality of graphics is not just determined by the hardware, but also the games to show off its capabilities. At first, we're not going to see the hardware pushed the limits with awe inspiring graphics. (at least not the xbox, disappointing when i played it).

The PS3 will also have blu-ray technology, which IMO is very good for advancing into future storage solutions.

5. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

To tell you the truth, I was letting the numbers do the talking more so than my actual thoughts and opinions. I took the numbers and turned them into words, and to me they are screaming that the 360 is more powerful. If you wanna bite my head off for it, feel free.

And as for Blu Ray, that's great, PS3 will have all that extra storage. Now it'll be up to the developers to take the time to make solid use of it instead of filling it all up with BS. Oh, and it'll also come down to the consumer and whether or not they wanna spend $80 a piece on games. (American)

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ill be going PS3 and agree fully with addis

7. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.
    -IGN

I sent this through my link, but I decided I'd post just incase you forgot how to click links. I'm not really gonna argue, there's no point, I already have my 360.

Good luck with the PS3 guys. ;)

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Don't give the staff crap, we know how to click links, it's up to us if we want to or not!

9. Addis

Addis The King

With Sony's specs out, Microsoft has sent us its a comparitive analysis. What's the outcome?
    Dude, you've been raped by biased opinions of IGN. That analysis was sent by MS, you know how they like to tell things. The fact is that: So, that's Microsoft's analysis. What do you make of it? Tell us what you think on the boards. doesn't meant anything until we have a detailed analysis by 3rd parties. E.g. anandtech and likes. If Sony can give their analysis and their opinions on why their console is more powerful in terms of different performance figures then it would be different.

You've been illuded by the statements of the biggest monopoly in the world, one which develops Windows. *harsh I know*

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i honistly dont think xbox 360 will be better, microsoft have had a better console once, so sony aint going to let it happen this time, whatever happens, the ps3 willl be more advanced with its cell procesors, its like xbox 360 is a super car that runs on fuel, and there is the ps3, runs on somthing reveloutionary.

i think that the ps3 will have better graphics aswell, as its running on a graphics accelerator more powerfull than the G70 which beats atil x1xxx cards anyway.

people just think that the xbox 360 will naturally be better becouse its made by microsoft, microsoft should of kept out of the games console industry, and stayed mainly with software, becouse they need to do a hell of a lot of work on windows, they should leave games consoles to the companys that do them best, thats sony and nintendo, leave them to compete, microsoft just wants to be in on it all, soon i bet they will try making there own range of graphics cards, thats are oh so big and powerfull and better than the rest.

11. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

Ah, I must say, I didn't notice that the comparitive results were sent by Microsoft. So basically, I should negate everything Microsoft says and believe you guys! :D

And as for someone saying, "Microsoft should have stayed out of the console industry", well, thats simply wrong. Microsoft saved the industry. Without it, Sony would be all alone. ('Cause let's get serious, Nintendo can't compete) With Microsoft, they supply healthy competition to Sony which helps fuel the desire for both companies to come out with great stuff. This next-gen battle isn't Sony vs Micro vs Nintendo, it's Sony vs Micro. We all know that.

12. Willz

i just think, microsoft is naff, the xbox 360 is rubbish!, windows is rubbish!, what has ever came good out of microsoft?

13. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

I don't know, I guess their founder is the richest man in the world by fluke.

14. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

playboy: the mansion
    but it still sucked.

15. Addis

Addis The King

Agreed, Playboy Mansion had limited gameplay, and graphics weren't great either.

16. Willz

yep, its only becouse everyone thought windows was a great piece of software, now everyone is afraid of change, not alot of people will move away from windows becouse windows is the only thing there familiar with.

17. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

^ A pretty laughable statement. But hey, who knows, maybe you're right.

Soon enough, Linux will be a solid competitor. They won't surpass Windows, ever, but they will compete.

18. Willz

what if everyone sees that linux is better, and then all move onto linux, it would kill windows eventually.

19. Xplisit

Xplisit Geek Trainee

I simply can't see it happening. Windows/Microsoft is too powerful. They'll find a way to win everyone back.

20. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Geek Trainee

If Bill Gates see's any strong competition formining with Linux, he would prolly take out his wallet and by the company easily.