PS3 HD may run Linux

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Addis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

SONY COMPUTER Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has suggested the upcoming Playstation 3 will come equipped with a hard disk. And the hard disk may come with Linux pre-installed.

Kutaragi is miffed that the likes of Nintendo and Microsoft won't call their consoles computers. Nintendo, he complains to Japanese site Impress PC Watch, "keeps telling the world their consoles are 'toys'," while Microsoft keeps calling the Xbox a "game machine".

"We're positioning the PS3 as a supercomputer", he says, "But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need a hard disk. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have [the hard disk] preinstalled with Linux as a bonus.

Kutaragi said the PS3 will run operating systems as applications. "The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and (Mac OS) Tiger, if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out," he adds.

He says that providing hard disk with the PS3 will permit the, um, console, to be used as a computer - for applications beyond gaming. Video editing and photo retouching are examples of applications that could be run on a Linux-powered PS3, he suggests.

It is not yet clear whether a hard disk will ship with the PS3 as standard or whether it will be and optional extra. "There are still some issues if the machine doesn't come with a hard disk," said Kutaragi. "We've added a 2.5-inch HDD bay so that users can add hard disks, such as 80GB and 120GB," he said.

The Xbox 360 is expected to ship with a 20GB hard drive as standard. It is not expected to be running Linux.

The Inquirer

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Well thats a big boost for both the ps3 and linux

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Not a bad move there Sony, "Lindows"? Never heard of that one, what is it, Linux + Windows? Either way Nic's right that should give the PS3 further leverage over the Box and it's little 20gig drive w/o an OS.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

lindows is very much like windows, yet still a linux distro. It's very easy for windows users to switch over to lindwos-so I hear.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Cool, are there compatability issues with say, apps like PS or games, I imagine there would be.

6. Addis

Addis The King

Basically linux with a windows feel. I think they had legal problems and changed to Linspire.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Not so much legal problems (they were winning the case) as problems with a huge company that didn't like them. MS ended up paying them like $30million to change their name to Linspire. IMHO, one of the worst Linux distros. Are you sure the PS3 will run Linspire? If so, you could you point me to a link? Thanks.

Edit: NM, I see it in the article. I hope he's just using it for an example and not implying that that is the OS which will ship on the HDD. Of course, Mandriva 2005LE comes with a precompiled kernel to run on the XBOX, so there will likely be some choice as to what flavor of Linux (and maybe BSD) you run on the PS3. Unless we enter the Twilight Zone, I don't think MS will ever port Windows to the PS3 in a million years.

-AT

8. Addis

Addis The King

Yea probably just using an example. I'm not too bothered what distro it uses, as long as tis stable, and easy to use and functional.

9. ninja fetus

I want the distro to be able to run games, watch movies, store music on hard drive and atleast internet browsing and maybe some messaging. Just games would be a waste of distro.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

Chances are it will be Red Hat since that is the dist. Sony put out for PlayStation 2 Linux when it was available.

Can find out more info here.

11. ninja fetus

:( I don't like redhat

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Red Hat? Really, wow I thought that was pricey stuff I don't know how MS can manage to keep this thing at $500 when the gfx card alone should cost that much.

13. syngod

syngod Moderator

You can get Red Hat for free. Red Hat's business model is charging for support, and for their Enterprise Edition.

Think you meant Sony instead of MS. But on a cost basis MS is still losing money on every Xbox sold, Sony has got the PS 2 now to where they are making money but it's nothing new to lose money on the consoles. They make it up on the licensing side, so you take a couple hundred dollar loss on the HW side and hope you make it up on the software side.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Free really, I must have seen some server edition thing. Yeah, sorry Sony, I was thinking of the xbox 360 for some reason. I know that the gamecube is probably in the same boat too, nobody buys that puppy anymore.

15. Addis

Addis The King

The gamecube just didnt really have the sex appeal that the PS2 had. Don't know why but there just wasn't the urge to buy a gamecube especially since PS2 has a huge games selection.

16. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh but it is a cube, which is cool

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If your not into Nintento only games like Mario/Zelda/Metroid than there's no reason to get a game cube, though it is damn cheap pretty much all it's other games are available on other platforms anyway so there's not much draw.

18. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh I love zelda and mario but i just play them on my pc with the emus and roms

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Do they have GameCube emulators?

20. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

i bought a game cube! :) for my daughter... it is 80 dollars for one now so it was a nice little gift for her.

whatever they come with i hope the sales of ps3 shadow that of the crapbox.