Ps3 slim watts

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by JAY, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

Hi, I live in the FIJI ISLANDS & im ordering the PS3 SLIM from USA.

PS3 SLIM Specs/Testing Below:

PlayStation 3 Slim review

PS3 Slim expends half the energy of the PS3 Fat

The slim uses way less watts than the fat model. In Fiji, we have 240volts whereas in USA the voltage is 110v.

The peak power consumption is 250w for slim. Testing shows it doesnt exceed 120w.

I asked one guy at Dick Smith Electronics in Fiji about this. He advised that I need a "Step Down Transformer (SDT)" because of the different voltages. Otherwise, when I plug it in, it will just blow!!!!

So what I need to know is how many watts SDT do I need? 300w or 500w ?? The Dick Smith guy said to be on the safe, I get the 500w SDT because heat may build up.

So I would really appreciate any help on this issue as I am not that much into electronics.

Thanks !!!

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i don't think that those step down tranformers are all that effecient, so i could see why he suggested the 500w, and that seems like a good idea to me as well. On that, you can't find a European version? as i'm positive they use 220/240v.

3. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

hey dude, thanks for your reply. But I found out on the website ifixit that the PS3 Slim has universal power supply. It written on the power supply 110v~250v

So i have already got the PS3 Slim from USA(just a day ago) & im at home(suva,fiji) playing Killzone 2 right now!!

Its working perfectly !! So for all those who are confused - the PS3 Slim will work in any corner of the world without the need for any other step up/down transformer !!

Cheeers

4. someguy1987

someguy1987 Geek Trainee

Hi Jay, I will be going to China (220v,50hz) and where I'll be living there are sockets like the ones in the US. So can I just use the US ps3 slim power cord that came with it or is it going to melt and overheat like crazy?

Thanks

5. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

someguy1987 - Do Not worry abit. You can use your cord coz thats what i did. Actually a PS2 cord will also work coz its the same. Im totally sure it will work. I bought my PS3 Slim from USA which has 110v and it works here in Fiji where we use 220v. So yea it will definitely work. Cheeeers !!

6. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

7. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn