PSU advice

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by loaded_chambers, Apr 23, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I'm looking to upgrade my PSU and would like to hear some advice before I do. Currently I'm running 1 CDRW, 1 DVDRW, 1 floppy, 2 hard drives, 4 80MM fans(case can take one more, I want 5 altogether)and a geforce FX ultra. What would be my best bet for performance/value and total watts? Are name brand PSU's that much better than generic ones? How good of a company is POWMAX(I was looking at a 500w Raidmax psu)?

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Antec's good. Grab a dual fan one too.`
    Personally, I would never trust a generic brand for a psu, it's just too important. I've had a generic one fail on me and it killed some components (Pentium 200 but still). And even if it doesn't kill anything, at least you know it'll last, and when you have problems, you can rule out the psu right away.

As for the total watts, I'm not sure but there are sites which tells you how many watts each component require, I'll try to find one.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I like Sparkle the best, but Antec is also very good. Raidmax has gotten some good reviews as well, but I can't personally speak for them. Most PSU's have the real total wattage listed on the PSU sticker. One general tip on PSU's: the heavier, the better. The heavier ones have more voltage regulation to keep a clean supply of power, and that's good for keeping your components at their best performance and lifespan.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

5. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

I Agree with big B. Sparkel is not generic, but its not large name brand. I use sparkel, and for an idea of what i'm running, they are like Antec's without the name. Same weight, same qaulity, they are GREAT powersupplies. High end Fans, and always preforming great. My powerupply is heavy, compared to my odl egenric, its about 2 times the weight.

People are always "scammed" into buying high end super high watt powersupplies, when in reality they dotn need it. I'm running a 350 Watt Sparkel, and its what i would suggest, other than Enermax. Enermax makes great products. Although antec has its name, Enermax has been proven more reliable at a ore affordable price.

My suggestion is a 350 Wat, no more, unless its a 375. You dont need a lot, trust me.

Look at my sig at all that i'm running, and that will give you an idea of what you REALLY need. Rember i've also got about 6 case fans, cold cathodes, and a crapload of hardware. Plus small things that just take up power.

Theres no way you need a 550 Watt powersupply. MY SERVERS dont run on a 550. 550W is insane. My servers have 8 times more the hardware listed that your running, and its using a Sparkel 430. Get a 350, no more, you dont need it. TRUST ME. If anythign or you want to waste your money on a high end 140$ PSU, its not worth it to say that your running, spend the extra cash on soemthing worthwhile.

6. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Hey
    Im gonna have to agree with Ska...Although my next PSU will be an Antec TrueBlu 480watt....in about a month....
    Later

7. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

So you think I should be alright with a 350-375 psu with all my hardware plus my geforce fx ultra(since it takes a 300-350 w psu to use)skaeleen? Sounds good to me...

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless you're running, say 10-20 15,000RPM SCSI hard drives and quad CPU's or better (this just for starters), 350W is fine. My Sparkle 350W has taken everything I've thrown at it. Personally, I like to have a plethora of power connectors in a PSU and most good ones pass that test fine. If you happen to run across a good deal on a name-brand PSU that happens to be 550W, I'd jump on it, but otherwise, don't get something excessive. More is better, but sometimes only to a certain extent.

9. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Hey
    I'd say go with a 400 or 431 watt PSU just to be on the safer side but a 350 should do you fine....I wouldnt worry about it though...if youve got a 300W already, why would you upgrade to only a 350? Thats why im going with the 480 soon :D:D

later

10. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

Its not the fact of uograding to a 350, its a fact of gettign what you need, at a high end quality, not some cheap, light POS you can pick up for 5$.

Rember, QUALITY over quantity. Goes for not only essays, stories, but for Powersuuplies as well. My suggestion is still an Enermax 350, or Sparkle 350. You most definbtley dont need no 550 Watt unless you have 1900 devices and a a house hooked up.