PSU Converter

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by afidelino, Apr 7, 2005.

1. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

Does anyone know where i can get a converter of 20pin PSU to 24 pin PSU, and any idea of the price???

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

3. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

tnx waffle, am i goin to have any problem with this??? should i just buy a new PSU with 24 pins??? coz i've seen a feedback for this.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Hm..

if it were me, i'd say its only four quid so if it works, then you save yourself buying a new PSU. if it doesn't then at least you tried.

Google "Convert a 20pin to 24"... thats what I did and it came up with loads of results.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

if your going from a lower number of pins to higher, usually doesn't work too well. Especially with a power supply, which is VERY key component in either working or not. I would find a thermaltake power supply as they are very good, and resonably priced. If no thermaltakes are 24pin, Look around for some major brands

6. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

thanks for the suggestions, i tried using my 20pin PSU onto my new mobo(24 pinner) without any converter and it worked, i also tried playing some high resolution games such as CS:Source and its still fine. Meaning my PSU is giving enough power to all my components. I'll continue using this for now, until my new TAGAN 480 arrives :good:

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The purpose of the 24-pin ATX connector is to even out the juice distribution. With rigs requiring more from the power supply, some lines are getting taxed more. The other thing to look at is the Amps. I've been hanging out at DFI Street, so this might be a bit skewed, but, you definitely want a good PSU these days---which is something we've been noticing for awhile. From what I hear, the Tagan's aren't bad.