psu?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by lazuvav, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lazuvav

lazuvav Geek Trainee

i have thoroughly cleaned out all fans and the psu due a slight problem i have....when playing any games im turned off by the comp...temp sensors show no high temp....i have a ati radeon 9880 pro with updated drivers..i gig of ram and i am running an athlon 2600 xp processor..os is xp...when it boots me totally everything is switched off but lights on case stay on and the digital readings for cpu and hard drive flash...my psu is a 550 watt q-tec and its about a year old..or nearly..help would be great guys...many thx in advance

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wattage doesn't mean a damn thing, first off. The amperage (amps) are what count. From what I've seen, the Q-tec PSU's are one of the Yugo brands of PSU's. It basically sounds like your PSU can't take the heat when your system is running full force. The other possibility could be RAM, in which case [google]memtest 86[/google] would be something to run. But based on what I'm getting from you, I'm leaning more toward the PSU just not being able to provide the juice necessary. Stick with something from Antec, Sparkle/Fortron (same company makes them, just different brands), Enermax, and Thermaltake. If you really have a wad burning a hole in your pocket, you might look at PC Power & Cooling, but you're looking at spending $200 on a PSU.

For the money, this unit is probably your best bet. The rail amperage are nice and it's pretty cheap.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Hey B, the link you provided shows a thermaltake heatsink ;)

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Whoops. I fixed it. Had to make sure I didn't recommend a power supply in another thread about a heatsink. :rolleyes:

5. lazuvav

lazuvav Geek Trainee

yep looks like good specs and recomendations...thx guys..