Quake 4 for PC

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Exfoliate, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I think there was a thread on this awhile back but it's really old now. Anyway I got Quake 4 yesterday and so far it's pretty decent. The opening little cutscene was quite cool and gritty and the weapons are fun, though quite standard. The graphics are naturally very impressive, particulraly the character models and smoke. I like how you can tour the ship at your own pace to. I think they would have been better off leaving the Strogg corpses stay instead of vanishing in a puff of green as it feel a bit too sureal, even for a Sci-fi game. And while the bullet effects are nice and bloody you can only shoot a guy about 6 or 8 times before the bullet holes begin to replace eachother. Maybe that's because I'm running it on High so the game is saving me extra polys but it just sees a little dated at this point.
    So does anyone else have it yet? What are your impressions.

2. Knev123

Knev123 Geek Trainee

yeah, ive had it for a few weeks and i have really enjoyed it, the graphics are impressive as you would expect, the gameplay at the start i found to be fun, as you were more part of a squad and more part of the war effort. But later on it does get a bit samey around the middle. The multiplayer is great, really fast paced and a nice break frorm slower shooters (ie CSS) The problem i had was that for some reason all the saved games wiped themselves and i had to reinstall to get the sound working again... but yeah i thought it was a great game,IMO much better than doom 3 (all technology and no game :D )

3. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Q4 and D3 are almost the same game. You know my views on it Ex, you read my review :D

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I do see what you mean WWR, the same gfx engine makes it look really similar. The weapons set is pretty much the same and it's still full of dark cooridoors but for me that's good enough because it addresses some of what I didn't like about Doom3. Like how it was pretty much one monster closet after another and you did the whole think alone pretty much.

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

With Doom 3 they basically re-made the first chapter of the original Doom with a storyline and better graphics, plus the annoying flashlight aspect. Quake 4 they really put a lot of effort into, I just think the part of Medics and Technicians was really well done.

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

All i can say is, atleast Q4 is'nt all indoors!

7. Knev123

Knev123 Geek Trainee

About the weapons, although the effects were pretty diverse did anyone else think that they actually looked too similar too each other? although you may get used to what each one looks like, i dont think they have the same diversity in lokk as other games i.e HL2...

8. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I thought they were all pretty unique, I loved the Nail Gun personally. Each of the weapons had their own charm.

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i like Q4, but single player annoyed me. single player games just aren't what they used to be

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm really enjoying it more so now. I like the Mech and Tank levels, granted they both take a similar course but it spices things up a good bit. The Stoggification bit was really cool, though it would have been 5 times better if we hadn't heard about it and saw the screen shots well before ever playing the game. In my opinion Quake 4 does pretty much everything right and nothing really wrong but it just lacks any pure innovation to be concidered a classic in my opinion, as much as I do like it even.

11. Knev123

Knev123 Geek Trainee

Like i said the actual effects of the weapons were pretty uniqe, but the models of the actual guns themselves i thought were too similar. Great game tho... (just finished it 2day)