Quality DVD.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Net Jockey, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

I am getting ready to experiment with Linux again...On my second computer...That is a Top of the line Celeron. 2 years old.

I need a second DVD for my new Dream Machine (recently Built.)
    What I need to know is...Is there a quality DVD drive that I can Purchase...that will burn the Linux operating systems properly?

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Any decent DVD burner will do this as long as you have a program which will alow you to burn DVD ISO's. I did not like Freecom as they tend to be quite noisy but hey it has been years since I purchaes one...

I have an LG drive which is about five years old. Nothing special but it does the job. Make sure you favor the lower speeds to reduce the risk of any write problems.

Which distro are you going for? Some distros these days can be burnt onto a single CD (Live or standard installation).

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, most standard DVD burners work with Linux, both my cheapo crappy DVD+-RW drive & my even cheaper & crappyer DVD-ROM drives were purchased back when i used Windows & i've never had a problem installing Linux with either drive & using either drive on various flavours of Linux

BTW: i started my *nix adventures on Kubuntu Dapper Drake (6.06) & now i'm using Debian Lenny b2 (more chalenging)

to help you understand, 6.06 = year (2006) .06 = month (June)

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

If you are building a "dream machine" you should consider Blue-Ray.
    Not sure what retailer you use in Maple world but I would go for a branded drive, SATA, which supports writing to as many formats as possible. Obviously within your budget....

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

good point,

BTW: i personally wouldn't waste my time searching for an 8.5GB DL RW drive & media because they are like rocking horse sh1t, & assuming you found a drive & media,

in terms of capacity Blue-Ray sticks the boot into DVD RW DL with steel toe capped Dr. Martins, so, yeah get a Blue-Ray

@Saba: i wouldn't have thought you could get a Blue-Ray drive that isn't SATA[ot]i'll regret saying that, cos Saba will probably post an IDE, USB or Firewire one, because i haven't checked[/ot]

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

We should really have this moved over to another forum.... we are spilling over completely. :dry:

There are Blue Ray drives which use IDE. I suppose manufacturers will be shooting themselves in the foot making drives which are SATA only....
    Personally, if I was building a dream machine, I would not bother with IDE at all.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:agree:, but personally my finances have gone south for the winter

8. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thanks all of you...My Dream machine has already been built...My only concern is that I will be able to burn the Live Linux CDs with out any errors...I have played that game before and had to get one shipped to me, because it did not work.

I have not decide on the distro I will be going for...More than likely I will experiment with more than one.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

some CDs just don't work when shipped, personally i only use DVD RW so, all data can be erased / overwritten, that way you don't waste CD / DVDr's

good choice, keep your your options open, different distro's do have different feachers but when it come down to the wire Debian is the daddy of all Linux's, but you may find a distro like Mandriva works for you, anyway, look at Distrowatch.com and read the brief descritions of each disto before choosing one

10. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thank you Donkey...That was very helpful.