Question about AMD cpu's :P

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sniperfox, Aug 6, 2005.

1. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Im not very good at this computer stuff, so maybe someone can help me out.. :)

my graphics card and other hardware is bottlenecked due to my cpu. So, the shadey salesmen at the computer store are persuading me to buy a new one..

right now, i have an AMD Athlon xp 2400+ (notice its not athlon 64)

what he's trying to sell me, is an AMD Athlon 64 (i heard the 64 was important) 3000+ socket 754.
    this is costing me 370 canadian (as i need a new mother board too, otherwise i'd have to buy a new graphics card too, as its not pci)

i only really need the computer for gaming, and my ram and gpu is fine..
    can anyone tell me if i will notice a difference if i switch to this cpu?
    like... a big difference?? i know it wont be the best, but i want better then what i have now! :D :) like i said, im bottlenecked now

2. Xero

Xero Geek Trainee

i think it would be better to go for a 939 socket because next time you upgrade there ain't gonna be no more 754 sockets, and yes you will feel the difference, im not sure about CA dollars because im from Australia but that sound rather expensive...

hdfk likes this.
  3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

socket 754 is a budget socket, he's ripping you off. I'm not all up to date on the latest-greatest hardware but Exfoliate, a regular here, will dop by and help you out.

4. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

hey!
    thanks for the quick reply.
    dont worry, next time i upgrade , ill get a 939 socket. (my old hardware goes to my fathers buisness for spares, so its a win win situation) i cant get a 939 right yet, because aparently its not compatible with my current graphic card.

btw, that would be about 402.00 in austrailian. but like i said, im getting a new motherboard with it. the cpu alone is about 220 AU. but money is no option for me, (really, i dont wanna spend too much, cause i feel bad if i spend alot of money :D), and i have no bills to pay so hey!, why not :)

as long as i will see a difference, and one thats worth the money (im a strict gamer) im in for it.
    btw,, how big of a difference are we talking,, like 9-10 fps? (assuming i have a really good graphic card. i forget the name of it but its one of the new 256meg ones from nvidia and it cost me a bunch :)

5. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

awsome. i'll take any help i can get :)

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Socket 939 has nothing to do with your graphics card, so you are being sold lies.

Any graphics card will work perfectly with whatever motherboard you decide to buy.

7. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

really? grrr. :)
    well, mine is a agp. lemme give out my mo/b and cpu stuff, maybe that'll help.....

current
    mother board: Shuttle AN35(N) ultra (its only the board, not the small shuttle case)
    Processor: AMD athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

What he's trying to sell me
    Mother board: Asus K8N S754 Motherboard
    Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ PROCESSOR S754 retail.

thats straight from the quote he gave me..

:p
    i wanted to simply upgrade to a amd athlon barton, but i heard they are discontinued

8. Xero

Xero Geek Trainee

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CPU, 2.4GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 754 = $286
    AMD 754 ASUS K8N - E - DELUXE MOTHERBOARD = $170
    Total = $ 456 AUS Dollars

EDIT* WHOOPS POSTED AFTER YOU SPECS.....THIS IS FOR A 754....ill make one for a 939 now..

hdfk likes this.
  9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You would be much better off getting a 3000-3500+ A64, SKT939, depending on your budget, and a decent motherboard, such as an ASUS AV8, or, if you are considering going for a dual graphics config, such as SLi or Crossfire, then consider a high end board, such as an Asus A8N-SLI.

10. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

are 939's much more expensive then 754's?

like i said before, i have the extra money now to buy the most top of the line computer available in general computer stores, but i feel guilty for some reason when i spend alot :p babysteps is the key, for me! :D

11. Xero

Xero Geek Trainee

no 939's arn't but if you want to be able to upgrade in the future youll need a 939, duel cores and all the newer cpus are on 939 now...so 754 will die out soon..

hdfk likes this.
  12. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

hmm, im definatly going into the computer store tomorrow to set this guy straight.
    so what exactly will the 939's do? let me have more options as to upgrades?

13. Xero

Xero Geek Trainee

yes, and also if you want duel core or the more powerful cpu's they are running on 939s....

hdfk likes this.
  14. ninja fetus

939 is the latest, and only future upgradeable socket. Other sockets won't be able to be upgraded as new cores are only coming out for socket 939

15. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

hmm
    well im conviced :)

im getting a 939 then :D

heres what my friend suggests

CPU: socket 939 AMD 64 3000+ venice core

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

ram: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

that better??
    (i got a feeling this is going to be moved into the upgrade forum)

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That is excellent (refering to your last post). That's almost the same motherboard I have and it has worked perfectly for me, very stable:) The 3000+ Venice is an incredable overclocker if you into that so it can basically reach speeds of processors costing about $900 more, talk about bang for your buck (this isn't to say it will be faster than those super highend cpu's but the difference will be quite marginal, especailly when you think of the money you save:))
    Socket 939 is the only way to go, it supports dual-channel memory, unlike socket 754 which will further speed up your system performance about 10-15%.
    The socket 754 3000+ that guy was trying to sell you was a horrible rip, it's not worth $200 CA funds. It would still be a fairly decent upgrade from a 2400 but not a massive difference.
    What graphics card do you have by the way?

sniperfox likes this.
  17. ninja fetus

if you plan to overclock, make sure to get ddr 500 ram :)
    just because overclocking your ram isn't a good idea, and for peanuts it can be avoided.

18. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

thanks for your help :D
    im glad im not an impulse buyer, otherwise i sure would be screwed, wouldnt i? :D
    like you said, i really want more bang for my buck when it comes to overclocking, although you better have not have ment that litterally:). i dont want my cpu exploding due to overheating. lol

right now, as of this moment, my graphic card is a simple nvidia geforce fx 5700 le :p but i have a new one ordered and it should be on the way, i believe its from the new geforce 7800 series (256 megs, i think). i could be wrong, my father ordered it, because he gets wholesale prices due to his buisness. im pretty sure its agp though, so im guessing it would be compatible with the mother board??

and by the way, the previous upgrade that the store quoted me on was 373.72 canadian , tax in.
    will the suggested upgrade (EXCEPT for the ram, dont need that yet, half of what i have now is compatible, which is 512) be much more?
    i mean, i dont wanna shell out an extra thousand bucks, YET :D

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

In american funds the motherboard and processor would cost about $230 I believe:), but since the exchange rates are so close these days it would be like $280 or something CA (not including the ram of course). For a true gaming rig you're going to need a gig of ram but I know from experience that 512Mb's gets you pretty far.
    Sorry the 7800 series is exclusivly PCI-Express, so it will not be compatable with your motherboard you picked out:( Confirm that's what your dad got you (wow, nice dad, if your right he got you the very fastest graphics card on the market:good:), if it's so you'll need to pick a new mobo.

sniperfox likes this.
  20. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

ok
    i just asked my dad if thats what he got, and he told me to go to hell. im guessing because its 2 in the morning her on the east coast, and he's sleeping.
    but thats not really a problem if it isnt compatible, and i can return it verry verry easielly and get a replacement with his discount prices :D (i wish my dad could work for lamborghini or something, instead :p)

but i have a question about your pirce estimates... you say it would be about 280 canadian??.. thats about 100$ CHEAPER then what i was first quoted on, by the guy at the computer store... that cant be right, can it???