Question about Swiftech pump

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Wildcard, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

I just finished setting up my cooling loop. I am using one of the mcp655 swiftech pumps and on the back of it, there is an adjuster for the speed. I just recieved this pump second hand through ebay and it is almost 1 year old now, so I do not have any of the documentation and cannot seem to find an owners manual from swiftech's website. The pump was set to 1 for the speed, which I read was the slowest.

My question is, for normal use in a system that is not overclocked, and with just one waterblock cooling an e8400 processor, what speed should I set it to? There are speeds 1-5. Would 3 be the best for normal use? This is my first water cooling system. :chk:

Thank you!

2. ShrimpBrime

ShrimpBrime Geek Trainee

Well depending on the speed depends on the amount of cooling. I would recomend turn it up full tilt "5". The cooler a processor runs the longer the life of it. The pump is cheaper to replace. I would also get a flow indicator. This will tell you when cloging or pump failure may occur. Also will help to see the speed in wich the liquid flows.:D

3. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Thank you!

I will try it and see how it works :)

4. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

I got mine on no1 setting. If you go full tilt with the pump it fairly noticable to the ear.
    Best bet really is to set on high check CPU and Mobo temps
    then gradually wind the speed down till you reach a happy medium on noise v temps.
    As said mines on no1 setting, The slowest, but i do have two triple double bypass rads in my loop which keep my temps at = CPU 19c Mobo 35c 2x 8800gtx"s 47c to 50C
    Idle, Temps on load + around 10c over all.

5. ShrimpBrime

ShrimpBrime Geek Trainee

Ya I cool at all costs. fans and pump noises dont bother me cause I can here them doing thier jobs. This is a plus with used pumps and fans.
    If you are not overclocking or in fact under clocking I would say slowing the cooling down is ok. Never can be too cool when Over Clocking! :D

6. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

You could allways set your temp"s alarm to warn of any failier"s. My qx6850 quad core has a small overclock, 3.0GHZ to 3.33GHZ and with pump on no1 setting and all fans running at lowest setting it"s a joy to watch dvd"s and tv without wirling fan and high pump noise :chk:
    with a cpu temp of 19c there"s not much point in ramping everything up :rolleyes: