Question for MP3 Player owners

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Zifnab, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Zifnab

Zifnab Geek Trainee

I recently purchased an mp3 player (Apacer bp300) and soon began to notice that when I turned the volume very low and was in a a quiet place, that there was a faint but noticable background noise constantly present. I traded in my player in hopes that it was the one I received that had the problem, but unfortunantly it continues to persist with the new one I've received. So I wanted to ask before heading back to the store yet another time, if this is some kind of general issue with mp3 players that use flash memory for storage? I would normally just have assumed it was the brand/model I've chosen, but I've read a load of user reviews on this player and no one has mentioned anything even remotely related to this problem. I also had one of my friends listen (just to check I wasn't starting to get hearing impared) and he could hear it as well. I know it sounds like a strange problem, but it's actually pretty annoying, and if anyone knows anything about it, or can just recommend a good mp3 player it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you tried different mp3 files to see it it makes any difference, I'm thinking it might be the quality of the mp3 file.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

To answer your question, a well-designed MP3 player will not generate any background noise. If you're sure it's not the MP3 files themselves, nor the headphones, you've probably got an MP3 player with a defective bus. If it was designed poorly, that would account for the white noise you're hearing; it's amplifying it's own bus noise. But, before you jump to this conclusion, I feel that it's important to again remind you that it could be the headphones. Poor quality headphones can add all the wrong noise, and not properly convey the right ones. This is especially true if they're those vented "safety" headphones that allow outside noise to be passed directly to the ear. They have the effect of actually amplifying ambient noise.

4. Zifnab

Zifnab Geek Trainee

Thanks for your replies. I've tried a variety of mp3 files and it's the all same - testing it again, I can actually hear it if I turn the volume completely off on the player. I've tried a different set of ear plugs (cheap sennheiser ones I bought some time ago) instead of the ones that came with the player, and I've also tried plugging it into my stereo system, which is a very old jvc set I have, and it's all the same result. These are all probably poor headphones/speakers, but funny that they should all produce the noise. I'll try and hook it up to some decent headphones just to be certain though. Otherwise I'll assume you're right about the poor design Anti-trend and I'll be heading back to the store then. It's too bad because otherwise I've found no faults with it.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah it is a pity. However, some good can come of this. Others will see this thread, and wisely choose to avoid the Apacer bp300. I myself am shopping for an MP3 player, so I'll also be sure and dodge that one. :) For your next MP3 player, my advice is to look for one with a good signal to noise ratio.

6. Zifnab

Zifnab Geek Trainee

Yeah thanks I'll do that :)