Question Regarding What Components Effect Which Aspect Of Gaming?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by JoeyMartin1958, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JoeyMartin1958

JoeyMartin1958 Geek Trainee

Hello,

So recently I have been adding a bunch of mods to my Skyrim game as I would like to play it again but I've already played the crap out of it in its original form. My game currently locks in around 52 FPS and won't component would be causing this? My initial instinct was that it was the CPU since its having to process all those extra entities. Is this correct? I plan on upgrading to a 980ti at the end of this year and am looking into possibly upgrading my CPU as well. Would upgrading my CPU provide higher framerates in this situation? I know usually CPU upgrades only provide a few frames but clearly this is a special situation that is bringing my computer down to a crawl. Also, if i were to upgrade my CPU, what would be the best CPU to upgrade to? I would prefer to stay on the LGA1150 platform so I don't have to buy a new motherboard as well, unless I could make huge gains by switching to a specific CPU on a different socket.

I have done some monitoring in and out of these high density modded areas and have noticed that my CPU usage jumps around from 60-90% usage, maybe occasionally spiking to almost 100 when I am looking around rapidly. This is initially why I suspect this could be the bottleneck. Is there a way to measure GPU usage? Currently I can only observe via EVGA Precision X that the fans ramp up to 80-90% speed. My ram sits around 6.9 GB usage so even though I play on expanding to 16GB as well, I don't think this is the issue.

My build:

CPU: Intel i5 4670 k

Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z97 LGA1150 DDR3 mATX

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Boot Drive: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Main Drive Currently Being Used For Skyrim: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM 64MB CacheSATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

PSU: Cooler Master i600 - 600W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Any help, insight, explanation, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I cannot see any point in buying 980Ti, because it's very old technology. Much better is coming next year. Then we have

28nm -> 14/16nm (at least 2x improvement on performance per watt)
    GDDR5 -> HBM2 (at least 3x memory bandwidth)
    New architechture for AMD (Nvidia will have just a bit tweaked one)

So buying 980Ti is like wasting money.

As for your problem, Skyrim is reason. Game is very buggy and based on 2006 year technology. If game is broken, you cannot run it smoothly on any existing setup. Just look at Arma 2 or DayZ and you understand what I mean.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Agreed. If it's just Skyrim giving you fits, you can upgrade your entire system and the problem won't go away. I've done that before on several occasions, and ended up with disappointing results. Hardware is only part of it. You can have the best hardware on tap and see it brought to its knees with abysmal software, be it the program, game, or a particular set of drivers for a piece of hardware.

Now, if you have other games that don't have known coding issues that do give you problems and you have blue screens or other repeated error messages, that's something that probably can be fixed.

The only CPU you can move to is the i7 4790K, and that's not a huge boost from what you have. If it's clock speed you want, you can overclock the 4670K and get the same effect with minimal effort. Hell, the UEFI or even Asus own software suite might do all the tuning for you and you'll save $300+. If you were sitting on a Celeron or Pentium, the 4790K might make sense, but you have the step right below it, so spending that type of money would be a huge waste. Anything faster is going require a different socket, which means an entirely different motherboard and very likely different RAM.