Quick question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by cloud17, Jun 26, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

are these volts right?
    caus i saw that the minus ones, well arnt minus
    [​IMG]

2. thomasbuonoman

thomasbuonoman Geek Trainee

theres either a problem with ur sensors or ur pc should be unstable. The 12V line is wayyyyy to low. is ur pc running stable, and i mean can u run it all day. If u can then dont worry about it but if u cant, theres ur problem. I would get a new psu if its not stable

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Test it with a multimeter. The onboard sensors don't measure directly from the power supply as it comes into the motherboard. My sensors tell me I'm doing around 11.8V on my +12V, but I get 12.00-12.02V with a multimeter on my Enermax 535W.

Additionally, a tolerance of 5% in either direction is acceptable.
    Don't worry about the negative rails. They're mostly there for legacy, and aren't a real concern for anything modern.

4. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

my pc runs quite stable... but there are occasionly the odd crash that just freezes the pc, also i can play bf2 for hours faltlessly, but supreme commander crashes since i added more ram, i can use one of the rams and it works but with 2 it crashes, wereas i play bf2, with all my ram, all the time, which is confusing me.:mad:

5. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

i dont have a multi metre but on speedfan i have seen it drop to exactly 11v, but i had a quick look in bios and i saw arround 11.6v i think, i will look again next boot and write it down

6. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

ok if my voltages for the 12v is 11.6 in bios but once started up is 11 exactly, does that mean my power supply is failing under stress or that my software that is mesuring the volts wrong. because my system is abit unstable if i am multi tasking eg. windowed game + video + searching web.

7. rimmer

rimmer Geek

I recently had a problem where my PC would shut down randomly, usually in games and video's and CPu intensive progs and my 12v was reported at 5.5v and my 3.3 at 1.6v, replaced power supply, no, replaced motherboard, yes :D

8. thomasbuonoman

thomasbuonoman Geek Trainee

right, switching out the mobo can be a pain for both u and your wallet so I would try a different psu first. Then go for the mobo. Repost if you need help deciding on the parts.

9. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

ok i now definatly think its my power suply and the only one i can test it with is my brothers 350W but im not sure if that can power my specs, and im not sure if it has a power cable that can go into my graphics card, also my 12v is now being logged so i will see if it dips before it crashes.

10. rimmer

rimmer Geek

good luck :D hope you don't have to replace your board like I did, it took me over a month to figure out it was actually the board

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd run [google]Memtest[/google] for a few hours, if not overnight. You might have bad RAM, or some improperly set timings.