r9600 pro - low fill rate

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by Dragunov, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Dragunov

Dragunov Geek Trainee

My sistem:

Asrock k7 Upgrade 880
    2x256DRAM
    Sempron 2.2(1500MHz)
    GECUBE RADEON 9600 PRO (last omega drivers)
    Seagate 20GB ata 133
    WinXP PRO SP2

My problem:
    LOW FILL RATE IN 3dmark 2003/2001SE, LOW FPS IN GAMES

3d mark 2003:

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 404.9 MTexels/s - omg, normal is over 1000
    Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 1237.4 MTexels/s

What ive tried:
    Fresh install, adware-spyaware-virus clean,other video drivers, other mobo drivers, bios settings change(fast writes on/off, agp aperture size, agp speed...).Ive even changed the HDD-WD 200GB SATA, nothing better except faster loading time, no fps boost :(

What could be defected:
    -Graphic card?
    -RAM?
    -Mobo?

Questions:
    1.Whats wrong?

2. tehown3r

tehown3r Geek Trainee

I'm not the greatest with computers, but I know the AMD sepron isn't the best benchmarking CPU out there, its almost like intels celeron series. Possibly trying a new processor? something with a higher clock speed?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Sempron (socket A) is the same as an Athlon, but with a slower FSB and less cache. Despite what people may think, they're not that bad off. They also have nothing to do with the fill rate.

Your problem has to do with a few things.
    First, the Radeon 9600Pro was a great card in the day, but it's been a few years, and it's simply not stood the test of time, as is typical with video cards.
    Second, 3DMark is quite tempermental to things like chipset drivers being installed. Poor scores have been linked to this, although in actual games, this hasn't meant a damn.
    Third, the resolution used will also have an affect.

If you've run actual games and not run into problems, I wouldn't worry. 3DWangMark simply isn't a good test of your graphic capabilities.

2003 is a bit newer, and I would think that the more advanced tests in that suite would hit harder on the card than on newer cards.

2001 is more appropriate for your card.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Try Catalyst or Omega 3.xx. Uninstall using Driver Cleaner method. Also make sure you're running 3dmark with default settings, and that you also have default settings enabled in your cp/ccc. 16x12 6xAA will kill that card ;)

I understand the card is old B, but the fact is the fillrate is pretty low indeed. I used to get a little over 2000 with my 9800 Pro, and the 9600 has half the pipelines, so divide that numebr by 2 and that should be around what he should get. If the number was around 800, I'd say it's fine, but 400 ?

At this point I'd try a known working 9600 pro in that board, or the same 9600 pro in a known working board.

5. Dragunov

Dragunov Geek Trainee

Actually ive tried that with older drivers, didnt help :/ .The problem is that games run smoothly when settings are full on low. But when there is some situation when graphic card has to render more, hell happens, whic means 15fps!So from 30 to 15fps fall(battlefield 2,...).