Radeon HD 6970 Overclocking Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SirDeity, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Hello! I just got a new video card. It is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6970. I'd like to use Catalyst Control Center to overclock my card, but I'd also like to be safe about it. I wonder how far I can safely push the card, so I was hoping maybe some other gamers with the same card would share with me their overclock parameters. If you could just take a screenshot or snippet of "AMD Overdrive" screen for me, and describe how your card has performed with the corresponding overclock parameters, it'd be very much appreciated.

My card currently idles (according to CCC) at about 49-53 degrees celcius (that is the typical temperature range without any games running and at default clock settings).

Thanks in advance!

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

3. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Thanks for the reply. I didn't dare push it to the max but I did overclock it (using CCC) to these specifications. I noticed the temperature while playing The Witcher 2 on near maximum graphics settings rose to about 75 degrees celcius, so I enabled manual control of my fan and boosted it to 70%. It seems to do a good job of keeping the temperature down below 65 degrees celcius during gaming. The noise from the fan is something I'll have to get used to though.